• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Note tracking

Aether

New Student
Jan 15, 2021
How long does it take to know every note in the fretboard? Also, is there any way to learn the notes faster or just know a note just by looking at it in the fretboard? I've noticed that it does not matter if I know a bunch of theory if I can't track the notes. I can't make a mayor chord a mayor 7th chord if I do not know where the 7th is, so I need to learn them. Any tip?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I used caged to learn the fretboard 😅

Don't have any tips, in general take an open low E and now find every E in the fretboard works as good as any other method in my opinion. My advice is to first now the distance between notes before doing so. For example if you take an open E the first 12 frets are F F# G G# A Bb B C C# D D# E, now do the same but starts on the other open strings.

Aether

New Student
Jan 15, 2021
I used caged to learn the fretboard 😅

Don't have any tips, in general take an open low E and now find every E in the fretboard works as good as any other method in my opinion. My advice is to first now the distance between notes before doing so. For example if you take an open E the first 12 frets are F F# G G# A Bb B C C# D D# E, now do the same but starts on the other open strings.
My thing is not learning the freatboard, but every single note in it insted xd
But thanks, how long you think it'll take?

Reactions: ari.mac

Ekrem Taha Ünlü

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Turkey
    www.instagram.com
    Learn octaves! Then you'll learn faster dude. Example
    D----7
    A-----
    E-5---
    These are same notes = A Octave!
    With this way you can learn faster.

Attachments

• 7-Octave-Shapes-copy.png
      7-Octave-Shapes-copy.png
      69.8 KB · Views: 108

Aether

New Student
    Jan 15, 2021
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    The way I started to learn the fretboard was taking a note and learning all of it's positions like others have said above. For me, it's easier to find the patterns that way. If I know where one is on the Low E string, I could work out where the rest are just by the pattern. There are the caged lessons too as mentioned before, but also learning major scales is really helpful too! Try learning them and the notes that make them up, then see if you can name the notes as you go! I hope this gives you a few ideas on where to start :)

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    I started by doing the same thing Millie did, so I would pick a note and learn its every position on the freatboard and knowing that gave me a reference to find the others (and eventually you memorize the other notes too).
    I recently started using another method too: I divide the freatboard and start with the note of the open string and then proceed to name out loud all the notes till the 4th fret for the first position and then move to the other string...and so on, I hope I explained myself 😂😂😂 as for how much time it takes, well that's personal, everybody learns differently and everybody needs a differrnt amount of time. Hope it helps a little!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Aether

New Student
    Jan 15, 2021
    Aah I see, patterns are basically scales and things like that. Learning the fretboard is learning where you can find each note. If you don't know the fretboard learning the patterns is pretty useless 😅
    I agree with you in that, that's why I want to learn the fretboard, or learn to track the notes before getting into the lessons, because I think I'll understand more if I know the fretboard and understand everythings Papa gate's talking about

Reactions: idssdi

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    My thing is not learning the freatboard, but every single note in it insted xd
    But thanks, how long you think it'll take?
    Not long.when you remember how many octaves repeat itself.you really only need one pattern recognized. Then you find the tricks. Octaves start 12 notes from the last. So it's just knowing ok g is 7.on low string. 9 on d string. And 12 on b string (same as 7 on high e). once you find those patterns easier you'll start seeing the fretboard.more. there are different ways.. like Ids said to do it. This is what's helped me.. I'm getting better at it.

Reactions: ari.mac