• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Obligatory "Lets Talk About the New Ghost Album" Thread

TreSavedge

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 25, 2019
    St Louis, MO
    Ok, so I thought that thing was lit. Meliora is my nostalgia album and our personal gateway albums tend to be hard to eclipse for nostalgia factor. (CoE, Rust in Peace, Appetite, Tragic Kingdom, Blue Album, Songs in the Key of Life etc for me) But dayum if I don't think that this could be their next best album

Everyone has been saying the intros to 'Spillways' and 'Griftwood' sound like the intros Bon Jovi's 'Runaway' and Van Halen's 'Aint Talkin Bout Love' respectively. I agree and nice nods to, if not quotes of those bands. Here's some stand out tracks and thoughts on this album.

Spillways - Tobias was right this should have been the single, very appealing to introduce all audiences to this album. Can't get enough of this song.
    Twenties - Wow, so original. Aladdin style intro and it reminds me of hearing ALPoH for the first time and how original that was. This was my favorite of the 3 singles they pre-released.
    Griftwood - This stood out as my favorite track upon first top to bottom listening of the album. I think the sound is so crisp and this is an ode to songs like 'Magesty' and 'Absolution' on Meliora. Just like those songs it's a back half album song that represents something of a middle ground between a simple 3 minute catchy pop single and the 7 minute epic track that feels like a workout. This kind of song along with 'Magesty' and 'Absolution' are the kind of tracks that push me over the edge from "yea Ghost is cool" to "I freaking love this band forever!"

Honorable mention to the guitar tracks in 'Watcher in the Sky', and the epic closing track. I love when bands know how to kill it with a epic long closer or penultimate tune. There's this one band that seems to do this on every single album, I can't think of their name right now, but I'm positive they "Exist". Anyone want to "Save Me" and think of the name or are all of your memories also "MIA" at the moment?

Thoughts on the album? By all means discuss!

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Great write-up. I feel like Ghost started out in a late 60s/early 70’s Alternate timeline as a Blue Oyster Cult offshoot, and what I’m starting to realize is that they’re moving forward through time from there. I felt like some of the recent albums had strong danceable beats almost like a lot of rock and hard rock through the mid to late 70s disco era (think Kiss’ “I was Made for Loving You”) and with this album have stepped firmly into the NWOBHM (New wave of British heavy metal) era of the early 80s, with a healthy dose of early LA metal in the mix. The Bon Jovi and Van Halen sounds, the guitar solos are a bit flashier and feature some Floyd rose antics, etc. the drums and bass have an early 80s flavor to them as well.

on the whole, this might be my favorite album by them so far, and I wonder if the next album will have some King Diamond flavor to it.

TreSavedge

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 25, 2019
    St Louis, MO
    Great write-up. I feel like Ghost started out in a late 60s/early 70’s Alternate timeline as a Blue Oyster Cult offshoot, and what I’m starting to realize is that they’re moving forward through time from there. I felt like some of the recent albums had strong danceable beats almost like a lot of rock and hard rock through the mid to late 70s disco era (think Kiss’ “I was Made for Loving You”) and with this album have stepped firmly into the NWOBHM (New wave of British heavy metal) era of the early 80s, with a healthy dose of early LA metal in the mix. The Bon Jovi and Van Halen sounds, the guitar solos are a bit flashier and feature some Floyd rose antics, etc. the drums and bass have an early 80s flavor to them as well.

on the whole, this might be my favorite album by them so far, and I wonder if the next album will have some King Diamond flavor to it.
    Absolutely!

There's the never ending debate it seems between Ghost fans on what's the better Ghost sound, the subtle softer ambient stuff from Infestisimum or the later heavier stuff. But I agree it's more complicated than that. I feel like 5 albums in they are actually going through an evolution album to album. Even though Meliora, Prequelle, and the new one are all heavier they are also very different from each other. Respectively they sound very 78, 80, 82 eras to me. Subtle differences. Meliora is a modern take on that era going into the 80s. I think if we had modern tech in 78-79, the guitars on Stained Class may have sounded similar. Prequelle you get into arena rock, and this new album we start to see the more modern heavy metal tones take shape. Opus was Sabbath and Infest was a 72-75 experimental sound like early Priest. I'm definitely happy with where their sound has evolved to but still once in a while go back to Infestissumum just to study it and experience the ambiance. I feel with this album they have started to blend the best of everything.

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    I definetly like your take on the evolution of ghost being influenced by different early eras.

My 2 cents on Impera
    Album cover is fucking Badass, like I saw it and I screamed.

Was not a big fan of Hunters moon.

I must say Prequelle left me pretty disappointed. The first two songs start to strong and then it was downhill for me. Expecting a more heavier and darker sound, this 80s heavy metal sound kinda let me down. Sure I have my highlight on the album and the highlights are spread more evenly across the album (unlike prequelle) but the songs just are missing something for me.

I dont know how many songs have the poppy clichés...but Darkness at the heart of my love.....damn did I find that song cheeeeeeesy......almost made me lactose intolerant.

My highlights now after having heared all the album are:
    Kaiserion, spillways, hunter's moon(it grew on me) watcher in the sky and griftwood.

Twenties....could have used some better lyrics..but who am I to judge. Also that reguetton rhythm threw me off big time.

All in all, for me...Meliora is the one to beat.

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    So this album very quickly became my favorite from Ghost. I became a fan after Opus but before Infest, and my favorite album from them has changed with time but as of right now Impera takes the cake. While there’s a ton of 80s flair here, I also hear a good amount of Boston (especially In some of the solos), Toto, Journey, and others from the 70s as well. And while I may not be the heaviest Ghost album (which for me has never really mattered a ton with Ghost, though when they do pull off heavy I always have a blast with it. Faith is a prime example of this), from CMLS to Twenties is a solid block of riffs and heavier Ghost imo, which is balanced very well with some of the more pop rock oriented stuff on the album.

This is where I think they’ve fallen short in the past. As much as I enjoyed Prequelle (and I VERY MUCH enjoyed Prequelle) it was very heavy on the ballads and poppier aspects of the band. Similarly, Meliora doesn’t hold my attention well after song 4 or 5 until it gets to Deus.

To me this is the biggest sounding Ghost record as well, it’s massive and grandiose while still incorporating a darker atmosphere and a venous attitude. It’s also the first album from them where I legitimately enjoy every single song from start to finish. “Respite on the Spitalfields” is not only now my favorite Ghost closer, but also my overall favorite Ghost track to date. Over all I couldn’t be happier with this album, it hits all the sweet spots I personally have for Ghost, capitalizing on what they do well, while still expanding and moving the needle forward. I’m completely enamored with it 🤘

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    @Christian Schulze ”so cheesy almost made me lactose intolerant” 🤣 I laughed so hard I snorted at this.
    Darkness is actually one of my favorites off the album lol. Now everytime I listen to it I’m going to think about what you said hahaha love it !
    Hahaha. Sorry that I ruined your song XD

• Haha
    Reactions: Alicia Willis