• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

On the matter of Syn's TONE

Henrik Bengtsson

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hi and thanks for an absolute treasure for the whole world of aspiring guitarists!
I myself am struggling with my chops for many years now. Turning 40 this year I’m thinking that maybe I should hurry up and get my sh*t together if I’m going to tour the globe someday soon. 😉
Anyhow, I would like to make a request on the topic of setting your gear up for tone. I know it’s all personal taste and such, but I can’t help but wonder if I’m lacking some component here and there in my rig.
Sure, I’ve got a Dual Rectifier with a 2×12″ Recto Cab. I’ve got a few pedals and I’ve got the Schecter Synyster Gates Custom S guitar (which plays great).
I DO realize, that Brian is using his own signature amp, an Axe FX III (!) and his custom built Schecter guitar + some more magic in the signal chain.
But what’s a decent spot to begin with?
Brian’s guitar sound is always dead on, and very consistent throughout the years. I can’t help but think that it is the most sought after tone on earth. Would you like to share your thoughts of where to begin when setting up for lead playing? Pedals/gear needed? You can buy a race car any day, but without racing slicks or the knowledge of how to drive it You’re heading for the wall.
Thanks once again!
/Henrik – Avenged Sevenfold fan since 1999

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Right now the consistency of his tone is Axe-fx III completely. If you like his tone right now and have the money to do so you could consider getting axe-fx III.
If you don’t have that kind of money maybe have a look in the right rock pedal

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Think hes more asking settings. I use a lot of gain treble and bass. I also use a pedal for my lead.. like the grunge pedal that is discontinued. But i also have a metalcore and a distortion that do the same thing. My line 6 has some good lead tones too. My one multi effects pedal has my rhythm tone.. the me 21 i think or 30. Cant remember. But it has some preset tones i liked. Id experiment. Youll find something you enjoy.