• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

On the QUEST! Pick and choose

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
Whaddup Synners?

So on my quest of becoming a better guitarrist I have been going back to basics and fixing my old mistakes.

After revisiting my picking hand I revised my pick. I stumbled upon the mighty Troy grady and he introduced me to the Jazz 3 pick. I ordered it immediately and today I tried it out....people...it feels like flying. Now, here is my question.
What picks do you use and why?
Here is the video

Cheers!

Reactions: carlosmqr

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
Jazz III ultex 2.0 mm on electric guitar. Tried a bunch and liked that one the most.

Wegen twins 3.5 mm on acoustic because it's gypsy jazz. Its basically the gypsy jazz pick but of the size of the Jazz III pick so I don't need to readjust my hand every time I switch
I am using the jazz 3 xl due to my big hands. Im gonna check the ultex version out!

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    This is an interesting and timely post, as I'm doing a lot of the same thing. My picking mechanics have always been less than structured and reliable, and I am slowing down a lot (again) to try and rectify (again), and Troy's definitely got a part to play in that.

As far as picks are concerned, I'm kind of the opposite. I discovered thick Jazz picks in the late 1980s or maybe 1990 and started using them exclusively. For several decades it was the 2.0mm Dunlop Jazz Stubby. About 8 years ago, I started a quest for a new pick. I started with Red Bear Trading custom picks - the first one was amazing and lasted about a year and a half before it broke. I bought another and it felt totally different (they're hand made and EXPENSIVE), and so I abandoned the idea. After several different tries and experiments, I settled on the Ultex Jazz III pick (the piss yellow ones), and then moved again to the Petrucci Ultex (black).

As I was gearing up to start this journey to picking correction again, I was compelled to go back to a full size, more medium-thickness pick. I really don't know why, but I did. I had Tortex .73 and .88's lying around. I found the 88 was closer to my comfort zone, but also found the "snap" of the 73 really endearing, and I've settled with that now. It's definitely a learning curve.

Will it stick? Will I play Tortex .73s going forward? Can't say. But I am re-examining my picking mechanics and consistency with them, and I'm feeling like they're gonna stick, at least for a while.

• Love
    Reactions: Christian Schulze

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    This is an interesting and timely post, as I'm doing a lot of the same thing. My picking mechanics have always been less than structured and reliable, and I am slowing down a lot (again) to try and rectify (again), and Troy's definitely got a part to play in that.

As far as picks are concerned, I'm kind of the opposite. I discovered thick Jazz picks in the late 1980s or maybe 1990 and started using them exclusively. For several decades it was the 2.0mm Dunlop Jazz Stubby. About 8 years ago, I started a quest for a new pick. I started with Red Bear Trading custom picks - the first one was amazing and lasted about a year and a half before it broke. I bought another and it felt totally different (they're hand made and EXPENSIVE), and so I abandoned the idea. After several different tries and experiments, I settled on the Ultex Jazz III pick (the piss yellow ones), and then moved again to the Petrucci Ultex (black).

As I was gearing up to start this journey to picking correction again, I was compelled to go back to a full size, more medium-thickness pick. I really don't know why, but I did. I had Tortex .73 and .88's lying around. I found the 88 was closer to my comfort zone, but also found the "snap" of the 73 really endearing, and I've settled with that now. It's definitely a learning curve.

Will it stick? Will I play Tortex .73s going forward? Can't say. But I am re-examining my picking mechanics and consistency with them, and I'm feeling like they're gonna stick, at least for a while.
    It always important to stay curious and to experimen! I too have experimented with many picks but for now jazz 3 feels pretty good!

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    I use dunlop gator grip 2mm picks , I remember when i first started playing my guitar teacher handed me one because I lost mine and I couldn't use anything else anymore, I love the rigidness/aggressiveness. Also another benefit is no one wants to borrow my picks hehe. I definitely wanna try out some jazz picks.
    I encourage you!

Reactions: Manvir B

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Ive been using james hetfield signature picks for like, 7 years now they used to be the “black fangs” 1.14mm by dunlop (i think?) and now they’re the “white fangs” (also 1.14mm) and they have a grip texture Bc the old black fangs slip very easy when you start to sweat a bit. Love these picks and definitely encourage anyone to try them!

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I've been using the Dunlop Jazz III Max Grip Carbon Fiber picks. I didn't realize until now that even Dunlops sight doesn't mention the thickness of them. Pretty sure they're close to a 1.4mm though. Thick enough that making my way through fast passages is easier while not being too thick. From strumming to economy picking it works well for me. I also swap back and forth with the Dunlop 2mm Flow picks. They seem to work well but strumming doesn't feel quite right with them.

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ive been using james hetfield signature picks for like, 7 years now they used to be the “black fangs” 1.14mm by dunlop (i think?) and now they’re the “white fangs” (also 1.14mm) and they have a grip texture Bc the old black fangs slip very easy when you start to sweat a bit. Love these picks and definitely encourage anyone to try them!

I am using the Black Fangs at the moment, haven't been able to get hold of the new White Fang here yet.