• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Oops. So I won't be playing for a while.

owen817

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 24, 2022
    Fort Worth, TX
    So yesterday at work, I umm made a mistake. I now have stitches in my left middle finger. Needless to say I am still going to try and teach my friend who is still very new at playing. Its going to a little difficult trying to teach but not show. But more than likely I will find some songs that can be played without using that finger. Learning experience I suppose. Or I will drink beer and just let him jam out to what he knows so far to get the muscle memory going.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Power chords don't use the middle finger. Don't play with it until after the stitches are out. Good luck. When I was a regular gigging guitarist with an active band, I worked with glass for my day job. Got cut up a lot. Did one show where everyone thought I was trying to be "Kiss" because there was blood everywhere. Sorry folks! REAL blood!

But seriously, don't do that. Power chords. Work on your rhythm chops.

Last edited:
    Reactions: owen817
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Good idea. The thimbles were a joke but your idea is much more practical. I think I need to just keep on going and harden my fingers up. It even hurt typing in work yesterday!
    my fingertips peeled a lot many times over, I forgot the process. should probably be built up. like avoid playing for a bit before it starts to hurt/callus so regenerates faster. even not play for a few days at times

Synner Endless Summer Collection

owen817

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 24, 2022
    Fort Worth, TX
    That is good to hear. I am pleased. The tips of my fingers are really hurting on the left hand from practising but I imagine it's nothing compared to yours. I'm 3 days in to learning from scratch and debating wearing thimbles.
    When holding down guitar strings to play guitar, you should press down on guitar strings only as hard as you have to for the note to play properly. Anything harder and you're only putting strain on the tips of your fingers, and anything less will result in the note playing poorly or not at all. If you have an electric guitar you should be able to adjust the action lower to make it a little easier to play. Just keep in mind if its too low you will get fret buzz from the string hitting the frets. It takes time and practice to make your guitar YOUR guitar. Everybody plays differently and likes a different set up.

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    When holding down guitar strings to play guitar, you should press down on guitar strings only as hard as you have to for the note to play properly. Anything harder and you're only putting strain on the tips of your fingers, and anything less will result in the note playing poorly or not at all. If you have an electric guitar you should be able to adjust the action lower to make it a little easier to play. Just keep in mind if its too low you will get fret buzz from the string hitting the frets. It takes time and practice to make your guitar YOUR guitar. Everybody plays differently and likes a different set up.
    Thanks that's really good advice. I will take a day off. I am hopefully getting my first electric this weekend. My budget has just increased thankfully so I thought I would go all out and get a Synyster Custom S Black and Silver so I could be a fangirl in my old age (which I'm totally okay with) whilst learning with Papa Gates (I think I would find it visually easier playing something pretty much the same) but I cannot find a new one for love nor money in the UK. I'm not brave enough to buy a second hand one as I would have no idea if there was anything wrong with it. So now I have to decide all over again and it hurts my head.