• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Overview Of EDCAG – The Minor Version of The CAGED System – Lesson 34

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    @nadav le hey I am actually finishing that lesson up. The first and third shape are defintily very difficult to play. Even awkward but I actually manage to pull it off a couple time. Obviously it takes me 5 seconds to place my finger but with enough practice, They are possible. I would advise to just go slowly and if its too difficult, its okay to come back to them later on. But you are not alone in having a hard time with them!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Anyone else finding the first and third shapes impossible to play? :(
    I wonder if i should try to learn the full chords or just the arrpegios... they don't look like they'll be very useful as full chords anyway
    First things, it's a chord so they are useful. Secondly, I usually play those like triads not as full chords. You should able to play them at at least as triads and play them as Arpeggios.

nadav le

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    @nadav le hey I am actually finishing that lesson up. The first and third shape are defintily very difficult to play. Even awkward but I actually manage to pull it off a couple time. Obviously it takes me 5 seconds to place my finger but with enough practice, They are possible. I would advise to just go slowly and if its too difficult, its okay to come back to them later on. But you are not alone in having a hard time with them!
    Good to know I'm not the only one having problems with those.
    I think I'll leave them from now (and maybe try them later) or else i will end up destroying my hand ><
    First things, it's a chord so they are useful. Secondly, I usually play those like triads not as full chords. You should able to play them at at least as triads and play them as Arpeggios.
    I have no problems playing them as triads or just playing parts from the chords, I was only talking about the full shapes

tgs1991

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Jul 13, 2020
    Hey all.
    I remember finding barre chords really difficult when I first learned them and get that hard chord shapes get easier with practice but man... the G minor chord shape. Can people really use this shape on a whim?

With a few seconds I can get all strings down with a lot of stretching except for the B string. Theres no angle that I can barre the B and the E with my pinky.

Is it perserverance? just keep grinding on it?

Thanks for any guidance.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Hey all.
    I remember finding barre chords really difficult when I first learned them and get that hard chord shapes get easier with practice but man... the G minor chord shape. Can people really use this shape on a whim?

With a few seconds I can get all strings down with a lot of stretching except for the B string. Theres no angle that I can barre the B and the E with my pinky.

Is it perserverance? just keep grinding on it?

Thanks for any guidance.
    Some of these are really not meant to be played, but just understood - how they are built, how and why you can move them up the fretboard, and how they relate to single note lines, melodies, arpeggio sweeps, etc.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.
    Chords can also be played in parts - you don't need the full six-string version of the chord. Some chords also work well with just the bottom three notes, the top three or four, or a few in the middle. Learning CAGED will help you learn which parts of the chord are still the same chord, tonally.

Reactions: Paul Walsh

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Anyone got any tips to nail down the G shapes (for the major it's hard for me as well). I can't seem to get that bar in with the pinky.
    Typically I play the G shape without the note on the high E string. So for example first play the first inversion of the A shape. So 4th fret on the A string and bar the second fret of the D, G and B strings with your index finger. Then put your pinky on the fifth Fret of the low E string basically gives you the A in G-shape and that's a whole lot easier for me

Jay Porje

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    If every major scale has an relative minor with which it shares the same notes, every time I play the Major scale I am playing the Minor scale too, right? So every minor scale has a relative major scale too, right? So cant I just play the relative Major Scale of the Minor scale every time I want to play the Minor Scale? I find it easy to remember that way. For example, if I want to play, say, A minor scale I can just play the C Major scale (the relative major)

Reactions: idssdi

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    If every major scale has an relative minor with which it shares the same notes, every time I play the Major scale I am playing the Minor scale too, right? So every minor scale has a relative major scale too, right? So cant I just play the relative Major Scale of the Minor scale every time I want to play the Minor Scale? I find it easy to remember that way. For example, if I want to play, say, A minor scale I can just play the C Major scale (the relative major)
    Yeah sort of but you have to be careful because the root note will be the one that will give the ''context'' of said scale. So yes A minor scale is composed of A-B-C-D-E-F-G but for these notes to have this minor sound to them, they must be played in a context where A is going to be the root note.

Because for example the B Locrian scale is: B-C-D-E-F-G-A-B

It's the same notes but because you establish B as the root note, the context will be completely different and it's not going to sound the same. Other reason for that is because the Chord behind those scales are different because the use of the different notes within the scale is just different. The fifth of the C Major scale (G) became a 7th in the A minor scale and a 6th in the B Locrian. And so it plays a different role.

This is getting into more complex territory but then I would recommend you to take a look at the ''modes'' lesson as that may help. I guess over time, we just decided to identify each scale and give them proper name because it's not because they have the same notes that they will all be the same and sound the same. So I would recommend for you to properly call the A minor for what it is and create a separation in your mind between the A minor scale and C major scale because even though that works for this example, it's going to get very complicated down the line with scales and in my opinion, it might confuse you more than anything when more scales come into play.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    So basically relative minor major refers to the modes of the major scale. The Sixth mode of the major scale is a natural minor scale. What a mode really is is the same noted played in a different context and therefore the name is different. Say you take the notes of the C major scale and play them I've a C it's called The C major scale. Play the same set of notes over an Am and it's called A natural minor. So the answer to your question is he's but it's worth knowing the difference in case you need to communicate what you're doing.

It's basically all about the tone center, something in the key of Am isn't in the key of C major because the tone center is different, even if you use the same notes and chords but in a different order.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    You can..i do this a lot with c major and g minor. Youd just start on g instead of c.

The 6th in the major family is the relative minor.

The third chord in the minor family is your relative major.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Is there a Major Scale shape/pattern for all the open chords? Are they the same as the 7 positions taught later but with open strings?
    For example there's C Major on the first 3 frets, so there's also an A Major on the same frets?
    I'm going to try it, maybe someone knows already.
    Normally I've been doing the Ionian shape ( I think ) as the basis to try and figure out the degrees for Major/Minor.
    Then here saw again the C shape Major Scale.
    Probably I'm overthinking things again. Going to practice.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I did it and not in order. I believe it's 7 chords, EADGCBF.
    Anyone can let me know it's good?
    Wanted to keep it in the first 4 frets.
    Thanks!

7 Major Scales open position.png

Alexander

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    AZ
    Anyone got any tips to nail down the G shapes (for the major it's hard for me as well). I can't seem to get that bar in with the pinky.
    I have the same issue; I can only place the pinky on the high E. Now I just came across that I can use the pinky nail side of the pink to bar it... it is very painful. I doubt I have seen anyone try this method... I will try this method for now and see if I can gain some tolerance. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: William B.