• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Overview of Legato Technique – Lesson 87

Marco Jarmer

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
Hello,

so i dont get it.:unsure: Everyone says, legato is hammer ons and pull offs. But i have done some research in the holy www to Allan Holdsworth and there you get the answer, its all hammer ons and lifting up the Finger. And there is more to it. Hammer on the note is simple we all know it but in the "Allen Holdsworth way", you plug a note that you are holding with the index finger, then hammer on with the ring finger( in my case) and to get back, you lift the ring finger and hammer on with the index finger. So to round it up... no pull off.
And in the www they say its the true legato because off its fluent sound.

But in the Video here, its all hammer´s and pull offs.

So whats right?

Thanks

All the best from Germany!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Hello,

so i dont get it.:unsure: Everyone says, legato is hammer ons and pull offs. But i have done some research in the holy www to Allan Holdsworth and there you get the answer, its all hammer ons and lifting up the Finger. And there is more to it. Hammer on the note is simple we all know it but in the "Allen Holdsworth way", you plug a note that you are holding with the index finger, then hammer on with the ring finger( in my case) and to get back, you lift the ring finger and hammer on with the index finger. So to round it up... no pull off.
And in the www they say its the true legato because off its fluent sound.

But in the Video here, its all hammer´s and pull offs.

So whats right?

Thanks

All the best from Germany!
I think both ways are right. I sometimes start with a hammer on out of nowhere and sometimes I pick the first note.

Reactions: Marco Jarmer

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
I think hammer-ons & pull-offs is a great place to start - but you're right, with some players, (like AH), it is much more subtle. He was certainly doing "pull-offs" but they were much less aggressive - much closer to just lifting the finger (as you mentioned). It's going to be different with everybody. Experiment and use your ears. Alan's violin-like sound is the holy grail.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Ok, thanks for the replys.

There is a another question that is hitting me.

Should you play Legato with minimum amount of pressure in the fretting Hand?

I am asking because there are rumors out there about this.

Thanks.
For me it depends on the finger and how fast I'm going. If I go fast I only touch the strings very lightly like just about enough to get the note out and move on.

Reactions: Syn Gates