• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Overview of The C Chord Family – Lesson 21

JoiiSteel

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 8, 2021
    Okay a lot to take in on this one. First off, I take it I should know the major scale on all 6 strings so I know what notes to go to when establishing the C major chord family? what is the purpose of learning the chord family? Do they have to only be triads played or full chords? Mr. Gates went straight from the triads to lets play the a minor pentatonic over these open chords. I saw in the comments someone talked about the scale formula being major minor minor p4 p5 etc. what is that about? Lastly why are you able to play the a pentatonic scale over all of those chords? sorry for the barrage doing my best to learn.

Ryan girvin

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hi. Can anyone help me out with understanding something. It's the C Major Chord family. That part I get, but how and why do A Minor chords come into it?? Is A minor they key?? And would the pent a tonic scale work over C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am & Bdim chords we learnt at the start of the lesson. I'm so confused.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Hi. Can anyone help me out with understanding something. It's the C Major Chord family. That part I get, but how and why do A Minor chords come into it?? Is A minor they key?? And would the pent a tonic scale work over C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am & Bdim chords we learnt at the start of the lesson. I'm so confused.
    Hey Ryan, so when PG talks about the A minor chord being in the C Major chord family, it just means that in order to do the C major scale with chords, you will have to play the A minor. Now, as for the theory of why, the long story short is that A minor is made up of all the notes that are in the C major scale (AKA: Natural notes (no # or b)) while the A Major chords has sharps (#). Reason that it's minor being that A is the relative minor of C (you will see that later). So while yes it's a minor, the way it sounds is necessary to stay in the key of C.

Let me know if this is a clear explanation, I tried to keep it short.

Now, the pentatonic scale is something that can be played over the chords you mentioned. But it all depends on which pentatonic scale you do because the pentatonic scale is a pattern of notes that all depend on the root that is given. The pentatonic chord learned at the beginning of the lesson is C so therefore, yes.

Reactions: Loganburton

Ryan girvin

Nov 11, 2019
    Hey Ryan, so when PG talks about the A minor chord being in the C Major chord family, it just means that in order to do the C major scale with chords, you will have to play the A minor. Now, as for the theory of why, the long story short is that A minor is made up of all the notes that are in the C major scale (AKA: Natural notes (no # or b)) while the A Major chords has sharps (#). Reason that it's minor being that A is the relative minor of C (you will see that later). So while yes it's a minor, the way it sounds is necessary to stay in the key of C.

Let me know if this is a clear explanation, I tried to keep it short.

Now, the pentatonic scale is something that can be played over the chords you mentioned. But it all depends on which pentatonic scale you do because the pentatonic scale is a pattern of notes that all depend on the root that is given. The pentatonic chord learned at the beginning of the lesson is C so therefore, yes.
    Hi. Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thank you very much for your reply. I think I've finally got it now. I feel so stupid when I don't understand something like that or get stuck on something. Gates and his father are such amazing people for putting this whole thing together and for free at that!! I can't be letting the side down. Lol. I'm currently on the CAGED system. Now THAT is some crazy shit man. It's actually insane how that works but at the same time it actually fits together. I good with the concept on that, it's just some of the finger positions that I struggle with. Quick question, how long would you say is an adequate amount of time to spend on one lesson?? Like, to make sure you've 100% got it down?? Thanks again for getting back to me.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Hi. Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thank you very much for your reply. I think I've finally got it now. I feel so stupid when I don't understand something like that or get stuck on something. Gates and his father are such amazing people for putting this whole thing together and for free at that!! I can't be letting the side down. Lol. I'm currently on the CAGED system. Now THAT is some crazy shit man. It's actually insane how that works but at the same time it actually fits together. I good with the concept on that, it's just some of the finger positions that I struggle with. Quick question, how long would you say is an adequate amount of time to spend on one lesson?? Like, to make sure you've 100% got it down?? Thanks again for getting back to me.
    Glad it made sense! And to answer your last question, there isn't any particular time. It's pretty much up to you. I find that even to this day I revisit lessons and learn something new or see them with a new perspective with the new knowledge I acquired along the way. So honestly, go with what feels right and don't hesitate to revisit them later on as well to sort of consolidate your knowledge!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ryan girvin

Nov 11, 2019
    Glad it made sense! And to answer your last question, there isn't any particular time. It's pretty much up to you. I find that even to this day I revisit lessons and learn something new or see them with a new perspective with the new knowledge I acquired along the way. So honestly, go with what feels right and don't hesitate to revisit them later on as well to sort of consolidate your knowledge!
    Okay. I'll keep all that in mind when I feel like I've been spending too much time on one thing. Thank you.

Reactions: Rad Synner

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    So we can solo with A minor pentatonic over a song with c major progression. Is that correct?
    I mean, yes. If it's that type of sound you're looking for. technically, A minor uses all the same notes as C Major. It's just that since you'll start with A, It's going to have a different kind of sounds if that makes sense in terms of melody

Synner Endless Summer Collection