• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Overview of The CAGED System – Lesson 23

Riff36

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Jan 2, 2022
    🇸🇬 Singapore 🇸🇬
    Now im alil confused. why does the caged system look exactly like inversion in drop 2 and drop 3? Any1...? Issit the same or different. Coz all this years i spell every chord in same key for all my fretboard position to get example C in all places and position by using 1 3 5 7; 3 1 5 7; 5 1 3 7; ans 7 5 3 1 and get all C in all position. Issit the same or different.? Confuse myself now. Can someone please clarify my confusion please. Cheers all.

Ryan girvin

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hi again. I'm hitting a bit of a wall on the whole CAGED system thing. I understand the concept... I think. Lol. But my fingers just won't comply with some of the shapes. Are there any exercises I can do to help with that?? I've been stuck for nearly a week on the shaped and no dice. I don't seem to be improving on it. I can make the shapes if I force my fingers into the shape but I'm real slow at making them and it sounds really picky when I strum it. Did anyone else have this same problem. I really wanna get this down before I move on any further.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Hi again. I'm hitting a bit of a wall on the whole CAGED system thing. I understand the concept... I think. Lol. But my fingers just won't comply with some of the shapes. Are there any exercises I can do to help with that?? I've been stuck for nearly a week on the shaped and no dice. I don't seem to be improving on it. I can make the shapes if I force my fingers into the shape but I'm real slow at making them and it sounds really picky when I strum it. Did anyone else have this same problem. I really wanna get this down before I move on any further.
    The shapes are meant to be UNDERSTOOD, not necessarily played as chords. Playing the G shape on the 2nd fret (an A chord) is nigh IMPOSSIBLE for people without alien hands.

HOWEVER, the overall shape can inform note choices when writing a melody or playing lead. You can also use PARTIAL shapes as chords, like this:

x
    x
    x

or

x
    x
    x

These are both A triads/chords based around the G CAGED shape at the 2nd fret.

x
    x
    x

Is a G chord based on the D shape at the 5th fret.

Make sense?

Derik5150

New Student
    Feb 9, 2024
    shoulders are lowered all the way to the ground, wrist is down as far as it goes and leaning in real good and my g bar chord sounds like all the strings are freakin muted. now if i want to mute all the strings i can just try to play a barred g chord

Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    shoulders are lowered all the way to the ground, wrist is down as far as it goes and leaning in real good and my g bar chord sounds like all the strings are freakin muted. now if i want to mute all the strings i can just try to play a barred g chord

Re-read this whole thread. It is repeated over and over that these are not necessarily meant to be played and mastered as complete chords for regular use. I have been playing almost 40 years - my hands are not physically capable of playing the G-shaped chord in full ANYWHERE but open.

What you SHOULD be doing is looking at and understanding the shapes, the notes as relate to your root (i.e. root, Major third, 5th, etc), and therefore how you can use diads and triads derived from these shapes in your lead and rhythm playing.

Reactions: Derik5150

Derik5150

New Student
    Feb 9, 2024
    Re-read this whole thread. It is repeated over and over that these are not necessarily meant to be played and mastered as complete chords for regular use. I have been playing almost 40 years - my hands are not physically capable of playing the G-shaped chord in full ANYWHERE but open.

What you SHOULD be doing is looking at and understanding the shapes, the notes as relate to your root (i.e. root, Major third, 5th, etc), and therefore how you can use diads and triads derived from these shapes in your lead and rhythm playing.
    appreciate the feedback and your 411, very good to know!

Reactions: Ed Seith