• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Palm muting advice

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I saw this cool video in the comment section in ari.mac's video

"You Shook Me All Night Long" Solo update!! #SynnerSunday​

There's a part when he talks about revealing the strings and covering them up or something. It's like 10 minutes in.
    He did some motion with his palm, it's like a roll motion I think
    I think it covered lot's about muting if not almost everything. Lot's of cool stuff.
    I don't know how to link the comment

Reactions: Iris

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I wonder what could be causing it, tho 🤔
    Lots of things could be effecting..bridge height.. if you even have one changes the angles a LOT. Of you have a floating bridge you cant even do it as close to the end as a floyd rose. Theres some maneuvering you'll have to do for each guitar. I'd practice on a floating bridge or an acoustic because you wont rely on the bridge like I did in the beginning of my playing. Itll make your mutes stronger and make it easier to adapt to your guitars.

Reactions: redlipsofdeceit

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Lots of things could be effecting..bridge height.. if you even have one changes the angles a LOT. Of you have a floating bridge you cant even do it as close to the end as a floyd rose. Theres some maneuvering you'll have to do for each guitar. I'd practice on a floating bridge or an acoustic because you wont rely on the bridge like I did in the beginning of my playing. Itll make your mutes stronger and make it easier to adapt to your guitars.
    My guitar has a floating bridge. I will start practicing it for real, because I'm starting to realize that it's used a lot in rock/metal, which is what I wanna play. 😪

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    100 % correct.however your palm mute is a more softer palm mute. Not that it's bad.. there are different mutes you can do depending how hard you press into the strings.
    I guess the problem is that the harder I press on the strings, the less crunchy it sounds and sounds more "tinny". If that makes sense. But I'll dick around and see what happens.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I guess the problem is that the harder I press on the strings, the less crunchy it sounds and sounds more "tinny". If that makes sense. But I'll dick around and see what happens.
    At first you'll probably have little control.. but like every other muscle with work and practice it starts to become effortless. Palm muting came natural for me so I cant really say anymore then that.

Synner Endless Summer Collection