• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Palm muting advice

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Argentina
Looks and sounds right to me. Just apply more pressure for more of a mute, less pressure for less of a mute, and use your hand to stop the note for a tighter and shorter “chug” if that’s what you want
He just said it all! :) sounds good btw just experiment with different amounts of pressure for different types of sounds to add to your playing :)

Reactions: Iris
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Batbia

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 11, 2021
    Brazil
    Sounds great!
    I've been procrastinating my palm muting practice for so long. I tried it and it sounded awful. 😅
    Me too 😭 I've been practicing it now for a few days playing Enter Sandman but I'll have to post a video because I don't know if I'm doing it correctly 😂
    I feel you sys 😭 I'm trying to play Some Kind of Monster for months but my palm muting sucks 🤡

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Honestly, I think your palm is a little too far back. The meat of your palm should be resting just in front of the saddles, regardless of what kind of bridge it is. Move forward and back along the string, heavier and lighter, to see how the muting changes to find what you like and what fits the song. Really heavy muting should be avoided on a floating bridge or you can press down on the bridge and pull everything sharp.

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    Honestly, I think your palm is a little too far back. The meat of your palm should be resting just in front of the saddles, regardless of what kind of bridge it is. Move forward and back along the string, heavier and lighter, to see how the muting changes to find what you like and what fits the song. Really heavy muting should be avoided on a floating bridge or you can press down on the bridge and pull everything sharp.
    Thanks for the tips. This has been one of the most frustrating aspects of playing guitar. I'm getting barre chords down but palm muting has just been a stumbling block. Especially since most of the stuff I listen to and want to play is hard rock, metal, and a little bit of punk.