• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Pentatonic Picking Exercise – (Hammer-ons & Pull-offs) – Lesson 22

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    I'm struggling with the hammer ons. It's like I can't get my finger to hit the string hard enough. Especially when trying to hit the 8th fret with my pinky. It's a little easier with my ring finger but then coming back down no matter how hard I hit the 5th fret the note dies. Do I just need to get my speed up?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I'm struggling with the hammer ons. It's like I can't get my finger to hit the string hard enough. Especially when trying to hit the 8th fret with my pinky. It's a little easier with my ring finger but then coming back down no matter how hard I hit the 5th fret the note dies. Do I just need to get my speed up?
    There's a very good exercise you can try. Fret the fifth fret of the high E string and never lift it, so it continues to be fretted throughout. Now hammer on to the 6th fret with your middle finger and let go, hammer on to the 7th fret with your ring finger and let go, hammer on to the ninth fret with your pinky and let go.

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Iris and ari.mac

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    There's a very good exercise you can try. Fret the fifth fret of the high E string and never lift it, so it continues to be fretted throughout. Now hammer on to the 6th fret with your middle finger and let go, hammer on to the 7th fret with your ring finger and let go, hammer on to the ninth fret with your pinky and let go.
    Wow! Thank you.

Klementein

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Morlaix, France
    I'm obsessed with hammer-on (Actually, I've to work my professional training instead of thinking about hammer-on :ROFLMAO:)
    ... Since I saw this, and I didn't understand how it works :ROFLMAO:
    And coming here on the forum is so full of information ! Thank you so much ! (y)
    Now, I've understand, need to order my fingers to do it now... not very cooperative, however... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: idssdi

Jammydizzel

Free Bird Player
    May 1, 2021
    England
    Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a weird situation here. My picking sucks so I'm trying to focus on that and I can do the down up alternate picking exercise no problem. But doing it the other way around (up down) still feels weird. I can do it but it still feels kind of forced, like I'm having to really think about it. I'm on a time scale though because I need to upskill asap for college. When do you guys think I should move on from this exercise? Like I said, I can do the up down one but it doesn't feel natural yet.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Rad Synner
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a weird situation here. My picking sucks so I'm trying to focus on that and I can do the down up alternate picking exercise no problem. But doing it the other way around (up down) still feels weird. I can do it but it still feels kind of forced, like I'm having to really think about it. I'm on a time scale though because I need to upskill asap for college. When do you guys think I should move on from this exercise? Like I said, I can do the up down one but it doesn't feel natural yet.

Thanks in advance.
    Personally, I think you should take more time with it until you are comfortable. The up down method for sure doesn't feel natural at first but that's why proper practice time is necessary to make it a habit. I mean, I don't know about you but at my beginnings on guitar, none of the movements felt natural right? But with time spent on the instrument, it became second nature and I feel like the same principle applies here.

Now, to still get you working, I would recommend you move on from the lesson to the next one but that doesn't mean that you can't practice it you know? 5 min a day where you practice that section can do you wonders!

Hope it helps!

Reactions: Jammydizzel