• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Performing Live - Different Perspectives

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    So this morning, as I was doomscrolling, I came across two articles on Ultimate Guitar where two quite accomplished guitar players talk about stagefright and preparation for performing live. They're TOTAL OPPOSITES and I thought that wonderfully illustrated how there really is no "one size fits all" answer here - we each find our own comfort zone.

First, we have Joe Satriani. You know him, or at least you should. Joe says, "I think, sometimes, if you prepare too much, when things go wrong, as they always do, it's too jarring. It's sort of an interesting protective mechanism not to be too well planned. So that when things go wrong, you go, 'Okay, I'll just play with that,' you know?"

On the other side, we have Mark Holcomb, from Periphery. Certainly much less well known worldwide than Satch, but any young guitar player would be WISE to know him and his work. On the same subject, Mark says, "The thing with being on stage, and having the courage to prepare for it - I always look at it as preparing for a presentation, right? If you're well-read and well prepared, and you have everything mapped out in your head, because you spent hours and hours and hours - not cramming – but learning over time, and making it so everything is second nature, as opposed to something which you have to actively call back and forth from in your head, things is going to be way more effortless."

Both have a lot of great stuff to say, so I recommend reading both articles with your performing guitar player hat on.

I think Syn falls more in the middle here, and so do I. I can't speak for Syn, but for myself, I am a firm believer in TONS of hours of rehearsal to make things second nature, but I also think that should include allowing space for improvisation and trying a lot of things out in rehearsal to get a feel for what KIND of thing may work and where it might work. I am the furthest thing from a "play it exactly the same every time" kind of musician, and I got there on purpose. It was a conscious choice, just like Satch and Mark made their conscious choices. I think Syn is like that too, only he does it more betterer than me - If you watch any live A7X, Syn NEVER seems to play the solos note for note - he gets the meat of it and then plays in the sandbox with it.

So, for those of you with experience gigging, what's your philosophy and practice?

For those who aspire to gig, what do you think your comfort zone would be here?

THERE ARE NO WRONG ANSWERS!

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Super interesting read ! I personally have no plans to gig, but I was in theatre and choir growing up and along with that definitely came preparation and hours of rehearsals but come time of the show I was always a fly by the seat of my pants gal because something ALWAYS went wrong. Improvisation is a wonderful thing to be able to do in front of an audience, because they won’t know you fucked up unless you let them know.

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Some guitarists never play the same solo twice. Mick mars for example changes his solo in 10 seconds to love nightly.

I'd say he prepared but you also wanna be good ad passing a mistake off as being on purpose. Which is gonna happen live. So knowing how to fix a situation like that helps too.. all the practice in the world will lot help you if you make a slip.. but if you can make it sound purposely done you're already making it. And that comes from practice not just songs but just in general positions so you can fix the mistake with a little slide or whatever.

Don't be afraid to make a mistake

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith