• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Phrasing and Dynamics

Dhananjay Chhettri

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
India
Hey I have been paying attention to how good players sound and what makes them sound better.
I've realised that they are great phrasing and amazing dynamics. So I have been working on phrasing lines and make melodic phrases but I have difficulty connecting my phrases to make it sound like a complete story. Any tips to work on the same??

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Sliding into the next phrase and knowing the Pentatonic/Major scales helps. Names of the notes too. If you know all the notes on the fretboard and name the notes in your scales, you can find them allover the guitar. Not that I can do it now but I think it could help.

I did the Pentatonic Solo Patterns lessons a few months ago I think those showed how to go up and down the fretboard with ease.
    Maybe you can use that as a guide to connect the dots. :rock-hand:

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Zesty Rage

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    Sliding into the next phrase and knowing the Pentatonic/Major scales helps. Names of the notes too. If you know all the notes on the fretboard and name the notes in your scales, you can find them allover the guitar. Not that I can do it now but I think it could help.

I did the Pentatonic Solo Patterns lessons a few months ago I think those showed how to go up and down the fretboard with ease.
    Maybe you can use that as a guide to connect the dots. :rock-hand:
    I've also started using the pentatonic solo patterns to help improve my solos so far I still sound pretty mediocre but it's coming together. I've also been looking into licks that have a somewhat repeating pattern that can be used in different positions.

Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I've also started using the pentatonic solo patterns to help improve my solos so far I still sound pretty mediocre but it's coming together. I've also been looking into licks that have a somewhat repeating pattern that can be used in different positions.
    This guy Simon ( I think that was his name ) from here said you can move your licks up and down. Vertical and horizontally up and down.
    I tried it and it works :D In some positions you can do the exact same movements, others you'll need to just slightly alter the shape to get the same lick but with a different tone ( more sharp or flat ). You could use for example Syn's 1st Sweep picking Etude lick and move it up or down. Maybe it won't sound "right" one fret down or up but probably 2 frets or try to copy the lick up a string or 2.
    The 7 Positions lessons was also a turbo boost for me. It's hard to put everything together but with practice possible for sure.

Hopefully this made sense as I just woke up.:skull:

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0

Zesty Rage

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    This guy Simon ( I think that was his name ) from here said you can move your licks up and down. Vertical and horizontally up and down.
    I tried it and it works :D In some positions you can do the exact same movements, others you'll need to just slightly alter the shape to get the same lick but with a different tone ( more sharp or flat ). You could use for example Syn's 1st Sweep picking Etude lick and move it up or down. Maybe it won't sound "right" one fret down or up but probably 2 frets or try to copy the lick up a string or 2.
    The 7 Positions lessons was also a turbo boost for me. It's hard to put everything together but with practice possible for sure.

Hopefully this made sense as I just woke up.:skull:
    I haven't reached the seven positions yet. I'm still memorizing the notes on the fretboard and learning to use the circle of fifths. But thanks for the heads up I'll have to start looking into those lessons soon. Currently I'm still trying to decide what my first cover song should be and so far I'm really digging By The Sword by Slash! 🤟 How do you get the colorful rock n roll hand sign and skull btw? I've been curious how to use that lol

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    All the above listed is very useful, but the best is always to expose yourself to as many guitar solos, melodies and arrangement be it a section or the entire song, because there are definitely plenty out there. Listen to how they arrange and connect the notes.

And by expose, I mean playing them out too, not just listening.

I've nothing against learning modes and scales, but building the ear is, in my opinion, of utmost importance :)

Good luck!

Reactions: chris_is_cool
    Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I haven't reached the seven positions yet. I'm still memorizing the notes on the fretboard and learning to use the circle of fifths. But thanks for the heads up I'll have to start looking into those lessons soon. Currently I'm still trying to decide what my first cover song should be and so far I'm really digging By The Sword by Slash! 🤟 How do you get the colorful rock n roll hand sign and skull btw? I've been curious how to use that lol
    Got extra emojis from the account upgrade, clicking on the :) where you can type is a list of emojis. \../, First time hearing that song through a tutorial, it looks like a really good one to learn. Covers are great and fun too!
    Yeah, it's probably good that your learning that stuff first. After joining I realized I learned stuff out of order. The lessons teach both theory and stuff to do it right away, than leads you into the next thing that expands on the previous thing, which is a good thing.
    sry i need to go

Upvote 0

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Theres amazing answers here already, but one thing I do to get interesting phrasing ideas (and it's a bit odd) is to look around the room when practicing and name what you see.

Think of how you'd speak the words in a rhythm and try and copy the rhythm of the syllables with your notes on the left hand - with whatever scale you're using.

Example: Ta-ble-lamp - is like three 16th notes in a row.

Bed-room-door is like three 8th notes in a row.

Red Jack-et hang-ing-up - Is a mix of both with some rests etc

Do this for multiple items in your room and you'll have different phrasing ideas in the way you'd naturally speak,++ in seconds

The trick is to see if you can play and speak at the exact same time as you see the objects, that way your ideas will flow as easily as you can say them, and you'll always run out of breath so theres no chance of overplaying/noodling 🤟

Hope this helps 😊

Upvote 0