• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Picking issues

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Dan, you're kinda putting it in the wrong place, at least from how the first pic looks. That thumb should be close to under your pointer finger. If you're playing in 5th position, it should be under around the 5th fret. Moving it up that high is putting MORE pressure on the wrist, I would think.

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Its definitely more comfortable, at the moment i have my thumb behind the 4 fret (pictured)
    CD197CFE-5881-4C50-9037-E5BE3488AECA.jpeg
    as the stretch to the third fret is a bit uncomfortable

Reactions: Ed Seith

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I thought I would use this thread instead of creating another one for an update on some of the picking issues I have been encountering.

The main thing I notice I that my alternate picking isn't very smooth and its very "plucky" so to speak as apposed to notes in a passage flowing evenly.
    The two things I can think are the big contributing factors are the consistency of fretting strength and the picking angle.

I saw when watching the videos posted that my picking angle was flat to the strings (which can be seen in the attached photo too). I find that when trying to angle my pick or slant it that my wrist position limits me quite a lot in terms of movement so I was hoping that possibly someone may be able to shed light on potential exercises or solutions to assist with the problems

1644258283752.png