• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Picking technique

Josephsg97

New Student
Mar 7, 2021
Hello guys, i hope you're all doing great in this terrible times.
I have a question, my thumb is double jointed (means that i can get the upper part of the thumb back to 90° degrees) and i find picking this way (angling the pick backward) like George Benson, Marty Friedman, Santana and etc feels more natural to me.
The thing is will this way of picking affects my speed in the future?

I've changed my picking technique a lot and i'm having some tension problems even with slowing down, but this angle in the pick feels comfy.

Attachments

• 20210307_214737_copy_600x800.jpg
    20210307_214737_copy_600x800.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 286

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
No necessarily, Marty's technique is very similar to gypsy picking and he shred like a monster and so do some of the gypsy guys. In the end I do fundamentally believe that everyone holds the pick different and a lot of time holding the pick the way that's comfortable to you helps you play the best(there are instances where holding the pick differently helps but this is just general stuff)

At the same time, if you have tension problems it's probably best to change your picking technique. Tension problems aren't good 😅

Reactions: Josephsg97

Josephsg97

New Student
Mar 7, 2021
No necessarily, Marty's technique is very similar to gypsy picking and he shred like a monster and so do some of the gypsy guys. In the end I do fundamentally believe that everyone holds the pick different and a lot of time holding the pick the way that's comfortable to you helps you play the best(there are instances where holding the pick differently helps but this is just general stuff)

At the same time, if you have tension problems it's probably best to change your picking technique. Tension problems aren't good 😅
Thanks my dude!!

I know man, i have some trust issues with my picking hands lol, i really should stick to this one.

Thank you again!

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Hello guys, i hope you're all doing great in this terrible times.
I have a question, my thumb is double jointed (means that i can get the upper part of the thumb back to 90° degrees) and i find picking this way (angling the pick backward) like George Benson, Marty Friedman, Santana and etc feels more natural to me.
The thing is will this way of picking affects my speed in the future?

I've changed my picking technique a lot and i'm having some tension problems even with slowing down, but this angle in the pick feels comfy.
There are many ways to hold a pick effectively. Guitar technique has been studied and analyzed to death, but not everybody is built the same way. Lots of incredible players held their picks in ways modern players would consider "awkward".
I would venture to say NOBODY has ever complained about how Benson and Friedman hold their picks. lol.
Can you play the notes and make them sound good?
That's all that matters.
Carry on.
Cheers!
pg

Synner Endless Summer Collection