• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Drums Placement of Drum Kit parts?

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hello, as I've been playing drums for roughly half a year, I was wondering how I should position the kit parts?
    Spacings and placement, right now I kind of feel like I'm facing left a bit too much.
    I'm right handed and the kit consists of 3 Toms, 2 that connect to the Kick Drum, a Snare, a Hi-Hat Pedal, 2 Cymbals and a Ride ( I think those are the names )
    Each time I'm jamming at this place I go to I find myself adjusting the Hi-Hat and snare distances for space and feeling comfortable.
    Is there a proper way to lay them out?
    To me it seems fine when I look at it but I have little to no experience
    I can't imagine where the double kick would go with the Hi-Hat there ( if there was one )
    One more thing, sometimes if I place one not so great I have to adjust my approach as to not hit my fingers with the Snare, Hi-Hat.

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow if it helps

Thanks in advance! :money-face:

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    The angles towards the walls are a massive reason. I'd maybe try spinning the set around.. maybe buy the foam to help direct your sound. And if you got mics itll be a even more difficult to.perfect.
    Thanks but it's not about the sound at the moment more like I feel like the Snare and Hi-Hat are slightly out of place and maybe I should rearrange the Cymbals, possibly the ride too.

I'll take a look at some pictures maybe there's some of peoples kits

Upvote 0

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Thanks but it's not about the sound at the moment more like I feel like the Snare and Hi-Hat are slightly out of place and maybe I should rearrange the Cymbals, possibly the ride too.

I'll take a look at some pictures maybe there's some of peoples kits

Yeah, I think that's the best place to start honestly. I'm sure there are some rules and guidelines out there.

Upvote 0

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    Ever since I’ve started playing, I’ve been self taught in that area. I had no idea how to set anything up and just played with it until I roughly figured things out. And over the past 6 or more years since then I’ve gathered tidbits of information from different people.
    basically from what I’ve learned through people and experience is that it’s a lot of personal preference. Some things are “more correct” I suppose with Tom’s being tuned and stuff. But placement is very personal for the most part.
    Here’s a picture of my setup currently, which changes fairly often depending on what I add to it.
    38FD6C86-C3FF-4787-A7B3-98D5289152DC.jpeg

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    it’s a lot of personal preference. Some things are “more correct” I suppose with Tom’s being tuned and stuff. But placement is very personal for the most part.
    Okay cool thanks, I guess I'll keep messing with it and maybe adjust some heights and angles .

The chair I'm using is kind of broken, after reading Radu's thread I wondered should my knees be above, leveled or lower with I'm guessing hip level.
    Been trying to correct my posture in general so I think of these things sometimes

Almost forgot the picture, I couldn't get more distance cause it's close to the wall

IMG-1334.JPG

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jeremy Healey
    Upvote 0

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    Okay cool thanks, I guess I'll keep messing with it and maybe adjust some heights and angles .

The chair I'm using is kind of broken, after reading Radu's thread I wondered should my knees be above, leveled or lower with I'm guessing hip level.
    Been trying to correct my posture in general so I think of these things sometimes
    Having correct posture is also just good for your back lol.
    as for leg height, I’ve read and heard different things. Online I read to have your legs at a 90° angle, and I’ve had a buddy tell me that metal drummers sit high on their throne to get a bit of extra power. I’m very indecisive when it comes to my throne height, always changing it. Sometimes it feels real good and my feet are so smooth, and then one day I can’t play at that height anymore. But I also don’t practice nearly enough 🤷🏻‍♂️

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Shawn Lennie

Free Bird Player
    Dec 12, 2021
    Honestly if I have found one thing set up is constantly changing!! As said above there are some rights and wrongs, but ultimately it is personal preference and what is comfortable. Throne is definitely allowing legs to be 90° or angling slightly down, but never want to be angling up 😅. But I'll feel good with a set up for a little while, wake up one day and just be like "okay so this is all wrong, change everything" 😂😂

Upvote 0