• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Playing Drop D songs in D standard

Pedro Moreira

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hi guys

I only have one guitar, it is tuned to E standard and i don't want to change the tuning. My plan is to buy a second guitar that i will always have tuned to Drop D.

While i don't buy that second guitar, can i use the Digitech Drop pedal with my E standard guitar to play Drop D songs?

I mean by lowering the tuning by a whole step and playing in D Standard

Thank you for your help

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Depending on the song, it could make it VERY hard to play. One of the benefits of drop d tuning is that you can play power chords with one finger, and typically that is used to do a lot of fast chording.

If the guitar has a fixed bridge (no whammy bar), switching between standard and drop D is a 15-second thing.

• Love
    Reactions: Alicia Willis

Pedro Moreira

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Depending on the song, it could make it VERY hard to play. One of the benefits of drop d tuning is that you can play power chords with one finger, and typically that is used to do a lot of fast chording.

If the guitar has a fixed bridge (no whammy bar), switching between standard and drop D is a 15-second thing.

It's not a fixed bridge guitar, that's why i don't want to change the tuning from E standard. It's a 2011 black Schecter Synyster Gates Deluxe.

Maybe i should just play E standard songs, and use a drop pedal to play Eb Standard, D Standard, C Standard, etc.

And then get a fixed bridge guitar, and tune it to Drop D, that way using the pedal i will be able to play in Drop D, Drop C, Drop B, etc.

Do you recommend any fixed bridge guitar for playing in Drop tunings?

Drop D is just the low E string dropped two frets. Some riffs can be an absolute nightmare if you play them in D standard

ok, then i should get a second guitar for playing in drop tunings (y)

Reactions: idssdi

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Hi guys

I only have one guitar, it is tuned to E standard and i don't want to change the tuning. My plan is to buy a second guitar that i will always have tuned to Drop D.

While i don't buy that second guitar, can i use the Digitech Drop pedal with my E standard guitar to play Drop D songs?

I mean by lowering the tuning by a whole step and playing in D Standard

Thank you for your help
    That's how I do it. One in standard, one in drop D + the drop Pedal.
    Never thought about playing drop D Songs in D Standard. Actually I think that might Not be so Bad after all. But of course that only works more or less when the Song doesn't involve playing Open Strings.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina

Glad you put that last tidbit in there 😂
    You saved me when I was trying to drop tune with my trem bridge Lol.

• Haha
    Reactions: Ed Seith

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    That's how I do it. One in standard, one in drop D + the drop Pedal.
    Never thought about playing drop D Songs in D Standard. Actually I think that might Not be so Bad after all. But of course that only works more or less when the Song doesn't involve playing Open Strings.
    It's not as hard as youd think. It should be easier.. it's the more natural play to play the scales.