• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Playing Live - Things to Watch for

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Is there any real difference between how big the show is?

Hmmm. Yes, to a degree.

There's a much bigger difference between 20 and 200 than there is between 200 and 2000.

Twenty people are mostly bored. They're not there for you. They're either in or with one of the other bands playing. It's rare that you connect with someone here, but if you do, it's rewarding. You have to work harder to put on a high energy show knowing no one really cares. But you HAVE TO ANYWAY.

Two hundred is a great show - you have an audience in front of you, watching you. You can see faces, make eye contact, feed off the energy.

Two thousand is a lot more energy, but everything else is mostly the same as 200. Under stage lights, you can't really see how deep the crowd is beyond the first 10 rows of people or so, so visually it's not much different unless the house lights come on.

Maybe Syn will pop in and talk about the difference between 15,000 headlining arenas and the 60,000 opening for Metallica in stadiums :).

• Love
    Reactions: AGA and Edward John
    I have a short ish term goal. I want to try busking within the next year. Any advice for that? Longer term goal will be playing in a bar, but I don't know the laws of where I'll be on that so we'll see. Finding a band and playing a gig by the time I'm done overseas is the real goal.
    All I know is that in some cities you might need a permit to busk, find out if that is the case where you live.

Reactions: Kai C and Ed Seith
    Their music is fine. Their live show consists of three guys off the street staring at their own feet for 45 minutes.
    I agree with you Ed, not about Seether in particular cause I know 1 song by them and that's it 😂, but rather about the importance of PUTTING ON A SHOW. I've never been a fan of "four dudes with a T-shirt" type bands, I admire showmanship and great performers. If one can put in extra effort to give their audience an unforgettable experience, why wouldn't they? Even little things go a long way.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    I agree with you Ed, not about Seether in particular cause I know 1 song by them and that's it 😂, but rather about the importance of PUTTING ON A SHOW. I've never been a fan of "four dudes with a T-shirt" type bands, I admire showmanship and great performers. If one can put in extra effort to give their audience an unforgettable experience, why wouldn't they? Even little things go a long way.
    Weirdly enough though, Nickelback do that same sort of thing as Seether, but they are way better live.