• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Playing with friends.

owen817

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 24, 2022
    Fort Worth, TX
    My friend recently purchased a guitar. He is a absolute beginner like we all were at one point. What are some simple songs that I can teach him so he doesn't get discouraged?
    I taught him E by Emmure yesterday. Plus its more fun playing and being able to watch your friends develop their skills and style of playing.

Lewis Gillies

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    My friend recently purchased a guitar. He is a absolute beginner like we all were at one point. What are some simple songs that I can teach him so he doesn't get discouraged?
    I taught him E by Emmure yesterday. Plus its more fun playing and being able to watch your friends develop their skills and style of playing.
    First two songs I learned were Blink 182 - Dammit and Good Charlotte - The River ft Matt and Syn

DjangoX

Campfire Attention Holder
    Legend+
    Mar 30, 2020
    United Kingdom
    I know it might be a bit much introducing him to drop tuning so soon, but if you showed me drop D (I learnt what drop D was on my second day of guitar and I probably wouldn't be still playing if I hadn't discovered it that early), maybe Animals by Nickelback? It's a fun easy tune to play.
    There's also a boat load of Linkin Park songs in Drop D. And Slither by Slash.

Ask him what songs he actually likes to listen to and what inspired him to pick one up and play in the first place too! No matter what the genre is, you can always simplify pretty much any song to its basic chord progression.

owen817

Garage band Groupie
  • Jan 24, 2022
    Fort Worth, TX
    I know it might be a bit much introducing him to drop tuning so soon, but if you showed me drop D (I learnt what drop D was on my second day of guitar and I probably wouldn't be still playing if I hadn't discovered it that early), maybe Animals by Nickelback? It's a fun easy tune to play.
    There's also a boat load of Linkin Park songs in Drop D. And Slither by Slash.

Ask him what songs he actually likes to listen to and what inspired him to pick one up and play in the first place too! No matter what the genre is, you can always simplify pretty much any song to its basic chord progression.
    I tuned his guitar in Drop D lol he has a Jackson 7 string. We were playing songs that he picked lol We also have very similar music taste.

Reactions: Alicia Willis
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I tuned his guitar in Drop D lol he has a Jackson 7 string. We were playing songs that he picked lol We also have very similar music taste.
    I actually think for jamming purposes (and also his learning) drop d is an excellent choice. It’ll give him the easy one finger power chords to play some awesome songs and keep him motivated.
    Perhaps some hail to the king? The Rhythm is incredibly easy.
    Also, a shit ton of Linkin Park songs (if he is into them)