• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Playing with injury.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Welcome Heroman, it sounds terrible what happened, I hope you’ll be okay.

I’m not a doctor but I think if you can, slowly do things like hammer on pull offs and chromatic type stuff. During healing it’s good to keep moving some so the scar tissue doesn’t get too much and prevent stiffness. Not so that it hurts.
    I don’t know if this applies to you and should probably seek a physical therapist or a doctor with more and better understanding. This is some stuff I learned cause I’ve been needing some physical therapy although my injuries are different.
    Take care

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Hey! I'm really sorry to hear about your injuries. As a standard basis, every guitar player need to build strength and dexterity when they start so in theory, all the standard exercise should be good however, there's your injury that come into play and unless someone else here went through something similar, I feel like a doctor specialized in injury recovery would be better at guiding you since yours is a particular case.

Don't know if you knew but Tony Iommi, guitarist of black sabbath, also lost the tip of his middle and ring finger by accident. That didn't stop him to become one of the greatest guitar player of all time so don't discourage and I hope you find something that works! :)

Heroman94

Free Bird Player
    Aug 18, 2022
    I think also practice gripping something, tapping your fingers on a table or keyboard in a controlled manner
    Thanks I appreciate it I’m currently taking therapy for it so I guess little by little. I sometimes just lose the feeling of the vibrations from the strings and pull offs and hitting notes close with my ring and pinky finger are much harder it feels like I’m fighting some resistance because the loss of strength.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Heroman94

Free Bird Player
    Aug 18, 2022
    Hey! I'm really sorry to hear about your injuries. As a standard basis, every guitar player need to build strength and dexterity when they start so in theory, all the standard exercise should be good however, there's your injury that come into play and unless someone else here went through something similar, I feel like a doctor specialized in injury recovery would be better at guiding you since yours is a particular case.

Don't know if you knew but Tony Iommi, guitarist of black sabbath, also lost the tip of his middle and ring finger by accident. That didn't stop him to become one of the greatest guitar player of all time so don't discourage and I hope you find something that works! :)
    Ironic part is I just saw a video about Tony Lommi the other day and I keep that thought in my mind if he can do it with two missing I can still play with one half missing 🤣🤌🏽 I do have trouble with the chromatic stuff because the part of my finger I used to press down was the opposite side of the fingertip. I’m hoping learning more here will also help with my hand fluency.

Synner Endless Summer Collection