• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Please help me identify this Schecter Synyster Custom-S guitar

Harry_T

New Student
Sep 17, 2021
Hey everyone:

I need your help to identify this guitar that I just got from music store inventory sale today.
I thought it's a legit Schecter Synyster Custom-S guitar but I realized there are some noticeable differences.
First of all, the toggle switch are in different spots than normal custom-s models.
Mine are placed parallel to the stripes but normally they should be slanted.
Also, the knobs have same pictures as the headstock on top of it, which I've never seen on other Synyster Gates models.
I'm not sure it's limited edition or just aftermarket replacements?
And the backplate and control cavity design, I've searched online about how it supposed to look like, and mine looks totally different than the others...

Normally I would thought it's a fake and bring it back to store for refund.
However, I've tested t the guitar, it feels exactly like my old Synyster Gates Custom (white body gold stripes)
The Sustainiac and Seymour Duncan Invader sounds exactly like what they supposed to sound like.
The hardwares look and feel legit, I've owned many Floyd Rose bridge guitar so I know how it suppose to look and feel like.
The fret work, and craftmanship and the feel of the guitar is just like my other Schecter (I've owned a White Synyter Gates Custom, a Hellraiser C1 FR, a PT Hybrid and a Hellraiser C-8 Hybrid in the past)
I do believe this guitar is genuine.
It has hard case and sustainiac manual and wiring diagram included as well.

The problem is, I've search online for the whole day but I couldn't find anyone else has the same spec as mine.
Is it possible a prototype? a limited edition? or a factory leaked model? or something else?
I really hope it's not a high quality replica/fake.
If anyone knows about this guitar please let me know, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4493.JPG
    IMG_4493.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 992
  • IMG_4494.JPG
    IMG_4494.JPG
    751.4 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_4498.JPG
    IMG_4498.JPG
    591.2 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_4499.JPG
    IMG_4499.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 346
  • IMG_4500.JPG
    IMG_4500.JPG
    590.9 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_4501.JPG
    IMG_4501.JPG
    740.3 KB · Views: 613

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    I think it's a legit Schecter Syn model however I believe it was modified.

This isn't a Custom-S, it's a simple Syn custom that was modded with a Sustainiac and so that's why the Sustainiac switches are parallel with the knobs: a real custom-S has the back cavity in sort of an ''L shape'' while this one doesn't seem standard to me at all so I think that the luther who did the mod decide to not dig further into the body to match a real custom-S and simply did what he could to make it fit with as little digging as possible.

The other thing that hints me at that is the Sustainiac installation guide. I can't speak for models in 2010 but I don't believe that schecter guitars with sustainiac ever shipped with that document which again leads me to believe that the sustainiac was bought seperately and added later.

As for the tones knobs, the Synyster special back then (which were simply black or white with no stripes) had those knobs so he probably got some from i'd assume ebay or somewhere else in the secondary market.

In conclusion, I believe this is a real Schecter Syn Custom that was simply modded to have a sustainiac. What could confirm this even more is the little tag on the headstock. I wonder if it says just "Syn Custom'' instead of ''Custom-S''. Lot of extra work to get there but strangely, it isn't the first time I see this. Oh well, enjoy it dude!

Harry_T

New Student
    Sep 17, 2021
    I think it's a legit Schecter Syn model however I believe it was modified.

This isn't a Custom-S, it's a simple Syn custom that was modded with a Sustainiac and so that's why the Sustainiac switches are parallel with the knobs: a real custom-S has the back cavity in sort of an ''L shape'' while this one doesn't seem standard to me at all so I think that the luther who did the mod decide to not dig further into the body to match a real custom-S and simply did what he could to make it fit with as little digging as possible.

The other thing that hints me at that is the Sustainiac installation guide. I can't speak for models in 2010 but I don't believe that schecter guitars with sustainiac ever shipped with that document which again leads me to believe that the sustainiac was bought seperately and added later.

As for the tones knobs, the Synyster special back then (which were simply black or white with no stripes) had those knobs so he probably got some from i'd assume ebay or somewhere else in the secondary market.

In conclusion, I believe this is a real Schecter Syn Custom that was simply modded to have a sustainiac. What could confirm this even more is the little tag on the headstock. I wonder if it says just "Syn Custom'' instead of ''Custom-S''. Lot of extra work to get there but strangely, it isn't the first time I see this. Oh well, enjoy it dude!
    Wow! Thank you fo much!
    Why didn't I think about this possibility ?
    You are right, the truss rod cover does say Synyster Custom instead of Custom-S.
    I think the luthier who worked on this modification did a really good job.
    Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.
    I got this one for really cheap price so I guess I can't complain anything.