• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Please Vote On The Riff Page Activity (Read Below Poll Options)

Why don't you post more/comment more on the riff page?

• I find the forums more interesting

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The section is uninspiring

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • There's no incentive to post videos/comments

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • It's too complicated to post video/comment

• I don't comment because I don't know what to say

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I forget the riff page is even there

• No one gives me feedback so I don't post

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
J

Jak Angelescu

Hey everyone. I'm taking it upon myself to dig around for a solution for the continuous drop in riff page activity. The reason being, is that I've spoken with several students who have gone MIA from this school due to the fact that they no longer get the help or feedback they need. I'm trying to do this for them. Also, this was an integral part of Syn's "Community-Based Learning" part of the school. So I'm trying everything to revive it.

So, please feel free to have a discussion below as to WHY you don't leave comments, ratings, or even post videos. Or feel free to select from a poll option.

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    I noticed that drop too. I personally was not able to post in the last month or so because I've been pretty busy.
    I always try to see as many media as I can and at least leave a reaction, I'm not really in the position to give proper feedback on tecniques and such but I try to leave a comment with my opinion and support. When I don't it's probably because the media is a super edited and professionally made video that is there just for some views... 😬 Seemed to me that the One Month Challenge and the One String Challenge were fairly succesful tho.
    But yeah, a few people always leave comments so the problem could be not receiving enough feedback. Personally I receive enough, almost always from the same people but I do receive it!

Last edited:

Awex Came

Campfire Attention Holder
    Legend
    May 23, 2021
    I don’t engage with them usually for a few reasons

1. A handful of them are just A7X riffs that I’ve heard or seen played a million times. The person usually isn’t specifically asking for help or feedback, so I’m not sure if they’re just promoting themselves or if they’re looking for feedback.

2. It’s just a long obscure jam session that I don’t have time to watch, nor would it be that interesting if I did.

3. Others have commented my exact thoughts or feedback on it already, so there’s no need to comment

4. There are quite a few instances where community leaders or moderators aren’t commenting or giving feedback, and they’re more inclined to do so than the average student. I know they can’t be on here all day, but there’s so few riffs that gets posted overall, I’m sure it wouldn’t take that long to catch up. My suggestion is that if mods or admins or whoever commented on them and also say something along the lines of “I’d like to hear what other’s students think as well” people may be more inclined to comment

I think a lot the lack of engagement on the videos could be improved by having the person who posted the video be clear about what they want out of the video. Do you want feedback? Are you just feeling yourself? Looking to promote your band or youtube page? If a mod or admin sees a video with no engagement, they should be the ones to engage first and encourage others to join in.

Last edited:

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    This is an interesting topic and thanks for bringing it up. I always feel bad that I don't at least leave a reaction, but I don't comment because I don't know what to say beyond, "Sounds great" and "Way to go". And as great as that feels to read, it's not exactly helpful. Also, it seems like a lot of the riffs being posted are from people more advanced than me and I feel like I wouldn't be able to give good feedback. Again, beyond sounds great and way to go. It's also a bit intimidating. NOT THAT THAT'S A BAD THING. I post riffs as much as I do for reasons that I don't want to get into. But if not for those reasons I probably wouldn't post riffs at all due to not getting feedback. Like I'll specifically ask for advice on picking technique on a riff and just get reactions. I honestly spend more time in my beginner guitar groups on facebook because of the interaction from other members. I really only visit the site for the lessons and to browse the forums.

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    It lacks me motivation to post, because lately I haven't been practicing the lessons like I wanted to.
    Also, regarding the comments, as a beginner, a lot of times I don't know what to say. I wish I could give people a good feedback, but most of the time I can only say things like "great job", "keep going"... I try to watch some videos tho and leave a reaction, but when the videos are too long I don't really feel like watching them.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I feel a bit guilty that I don't Check Out the Riff Page more often at the Moment. Life is Just busy right now and my Energy pretty Low. So Most of the time I Check the school on my stupid Work place, where I can't Just watch Videos like that.
    Hope the Riff section gets more Attention again!

David Aceves

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    As I was writing this @A.C. hit the nail right in the head as far as what I was thinking about others posting videos. As far as me posting videos well, I'm so undecisive of what to upload myself, I've been wanting to do a video about what helped me get better at using the metronome, or you know just a riff I learned and what not. I've thought about just uploading what I have already posted on instagram, but that could come off as just "showing off" or doing it for "the views" so I hesitate to post what I've posted on my social media here. I feel like I have to make a video just for this website and not post else where as I do want to help the community because no lie, I feel that I've to gotten better because of this community and I want to pay it back you know. I'm just overthinking it who knows.

J

Jak Angelescu

I have social problems and with myself. I feel uncomfortable interacting with people irl too.
    I can’t speak for others, but it’s possible that maybe other people don’t comment due to being introverted, and maybe there are people that are newer to guitar that don’t feel comfortable giving feedback. Just a theory

How can I help? I dream of this site being a place where many people grow and help overcome certain obstacles. Not saying that bring an introvert is an obstacle. But if it's hindering your musical growth than it is something that could be mended a little.

For those who are heavily introverted, antisocial, etc, how can I help with this?

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    It’s interesting because the last few times I posted to the riff section I had more activity and feedback then ever before (greatly appreciated btw fam). I guess I just personally haven felt like I’ve had anything worth posting lately to post haha For instance, I’ve been working on the mad hatter solo and I’ve pretty much got it down, I don’t want it to be perfect or anything but it’s just not to a point where I think “yeah I’m stoked to post this”. I suppose it’s more of getting the self to be inspired to share, at least for me

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    If somebody drops a riff, and it isn't obvious self promotion of their social media accounts, I will watch it and leave a reaction.

If somebody drops a riff and requests feedback or help with an issue I will comment if I have useful advice.

If it's another Seize The Day solo cover I usually just scroll past it, haha.

As for me posting to the riff page, I don't post often because I just don't really feel the need to. I could post a cover riff a day, but for what purpose?

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I’ve had this discussion with Jak in private, but I want to add it here for all to see, and you may totally correct me if I’m off base.

When the school first started the riff section was a holy grail of information. It was a place where you could post up and talk about your struggles, show what you were doing, and ask your peers how to correct issues and y’all….the knowledge was FLOWING ! Hell, Captain Ed even Skyped with me once when I was losing my damn mind trying to achieve a god forsaken pinch harmonic 🤣)

Over time it slowly descended into a place where people simply chose to show off.
    Now, showing off after you’ve struggled to attain something, and telling others how you finally achieved it is amazing….but the page was lambasted with highly edited YouTube “perfect” videos, whom we all knew were just here to garner attention, likes, and subscribers for their pages. It was no longer about the collective helping each other to succeed, but more so a popularity contest. IMO this discouraged a lot of beginners and new students to the site.

However, there have been some phenomenal students who despite that, still tried to reach others and genuinely shared their knowledge through trial and error; for example: CJ’s “Two Cents’’ videos.

The school as definitely taken a turn towards being more social, and I don’t necessarily see that as a negative thing AS LONG as we still keep the aspect of learning and striving to be the best version of yourself you can possible be.

so I pose a question for the newer students here: Do you guys feel comfy posting videos asking for help , or…do you feel like you should only be posting riffs and covers because that’s all you have seen thus far ?

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I’ve had this discussion with Jak in private, but I want to add it here for all to see, and you may totally correct me if I’m off base.

When the school first started the riff section was a holy grail of information. It was a place where you could post up and talk about your struggles, show what you were doing, and ask your peers how to correct issues and y’all….the knowledge was FLOWING ! Hell, Captain Ed even Skyped with me once when I was losing my damn mind trying to achieve a god forsaken pinch harmonic 🤣)

Over time it slowly descended into a place where people simply chose to show off.
    Now, showing off after you’ve struggled to attain something, and telling others how you finally achieved it is amazing….but the page was lambasted with highly edited YouTube “perfect” videos, whom we all knew were just here to garner attention, likes, and subscribers for their pages. It was no longer about the collective helping each other to succeed, but more so a popularity contest. IMO this discouraged a lot of beginners and new students to the site.

However, there have been some phenomenal students who despite that, still tried to reach others and genuinely shared their knowledge through trial and error; for example: CJ’s “Two Cents’’ videos.

The school as definitely taken a turn towards being more social, and I don’t necessarily see that as a negative thing AS LONG as we still keep the aspect of learning and striving to be the best version of yourself you can possible be.

so I pose a question for the newer students here: Do you guys feel comfy posting videos asking for help , or…do you feel like you should only be posting riffs and covers because that’s all you have seen thus far ?
    yeah there's truth to that too. "Original Riffs" never gave me the impression it was a "gimmie help" area and the student practices doesn't give me the feeling of "let's show the progress on a given lesson" (ie. multiple videos showing progress)

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    How can I help? I dream of this site being a place where many people grow and help overcome certain obstacles. Not saying that bring an introvert is an obstacle. But if it's hindering your musical growth than it is something that could be mended a little.

For those who are heavily introverted, antisocial, etc, how can I help with this?
    tbh, I don't entirely know.. my social anxiety isn't something easily solved..

going to @Alicia Willis 's point, perhaps some album which is clearly badged "feedback/progress/help" would be a good place to put riffs like that. Also bringing back personal album might be nice..

carlosmqr

Campfire Attention Holder
    Legend
  • Nov 17, 2019
    Portugal/Manchester UK
    www.instagram.com
    I like the riff page, but since I dont have a lot of free time to come to the forum, even here I just comment when Im not running, I usually just have a look at the riffs, I try to leave a reaction at least anyway!

The one string challenge was fun though, and when we have challenges like this looks like theres a bit more activity.

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    I feel fine posting videos for help. Maybe 2 sections. A riff section for just showing what you've accomplished and another riff section that is strictly for help. Maybe even a 3rd one for just showing off. That way we aren't scrolling through videos that are all mixed together and we can go to the sections we're interested in. I joined back in October I believe and got tons of help when I was working on "Going to California" and I miss that.

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    I haven’t been on here lately but I read all the comments here and have some stuff to say!

I saw some people saying their beginners and really have no way to help, if your in that situation don’t worry at all! Focus on yourself and focus on asking questions or getting advice :)

some people said they are shy or antisocial and that’s ok also! I was like that also before I joined the school, but having people comment and help me made me less shy and more open.

I haven’t been on a while cuz the school just doesn’t feel the same sadly, but when I come back I will make a huge effort to help and comment on videos to get people out of their shells and feel great about their skills!