• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Please Vote On The Riff Page Activity (Read Below Poll Options)

Why don't you post more/comment more on the riff page?

• I find the forums more interesting

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The section is uninspiring

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • There's no incentive to post videos/comments

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • It's too complicated to post video/comment

• I don't comment because I don't know what to say

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I forget the riff page is even there

• No one gives me feedback so I don't post

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
In my case I would like to coment more and post more, but I am pretty busy recently.

On another note, I don't see any benefit from me just posting improv playing from my side. It does not add. I wanna add something I feel like can add to the site. And I am working on stuff, but before I share it I wanna be sure 100% that I got the topic mastered...and that takes lotta time.

I wanna add to the site, as intended by Syn originally.

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
CJ's videos were great!

But if can give my 2 cents (yes, I intended that) I feel like it really comes down to no one is really leading by example... so what we are left with is highly edited videos like you mention and all that stuff. And so I worry that maybe some people feel uncomfortable posting in the riff section because all they see is highly edited stuff and they feel and think subconsciously like they need to do that and to be at that level to post anything.

I don't think that the riff page emptied out and got filled with highly edited stuff and people who post their stuff and never appear again because the school turned more social. As far as I can remember, there's always been these sort of things happening. And it's not gonna change.

And a part of me feels like it's too easy to just blame it on external factors. So then I wonder, maybe we all just stopped feeding that page. Maybe we let it ''starve'' by not using it. And it may be for 1000s of different reasons. Sometimes life comes in the way, motivation leaves, frustration and also a feeling of insecurity maybe for some.

And so yeah, we could just say ''Hey, let's all make the riff page active again'' and I am sure that for a week or two it will get lots of videos and be back to how it is designed to be but if we turn it into an event and ''force'' it to happen, then people will again leave after the hype is gone.

Instead, what I suggest is to lead by example. Just do it. All of us who want to turn the riff page into an advice and feedback and all the good stuff page, well let's go there and do just that with consistency. With effort. And it's going to require effort and discipline at first but the more we all show how imperfect we are and how we all go through the same struggle, the more people who, for example, might be more introvert will get exposed to that and will see an opening that this is a ''safe space''. See it as a domino effect sort of...

So yeah, maybe we should just take a look at ourselves and how we can make this a better place and then take action. Take a look at what we have done and what we could do. Maybe instead of telling people how they should use this school we should just use this school in the way it was designed to be and so when someone comes and checks what's up, they'll know exactly what kind of place this is.

At least, that's what was on my mind.

But then again, what do I know. I'm a fucking bass player.
Basss head you are coming for my gig. But I wholeheartedly agree with your point!

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
So my anxiety riddled brain is overthinking things. I see a lot of comments here about people just showing off and I hope my videos haven't come across that way, not that I have anything to show off. I just like having a platform to show my progress that isn't strictly social media. But it's nice to have a place to share videos where fellow musicians will see it.
Not at all, in fact your videos are the kind I like to see on the riff page. Videos showing progress or cool new stuff you have learned to do. The 'show off' stuff, I believe, is aimed more at those that occasionaly drop into the site to leave their latest polished cover with links to their Youtube and Instagram pages.

Last edited: