• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Positive Message For The Students, "Synner Days"

J

Jak Angelescu

Hey there, my little kittens :)

It's your Momma Cat here. And I am taking a break from recording guitar tracks to dish a little bit of a positive message for you guys. I'm gonna try not to make this long. But it's me, so it probably will be.

First of all, I know SO many of you are going through some serious shit right now. And as I talk to you all off of the school, it has become apparent how much each and every one of you has similar issues. Family not being supportive, issues at home making it hard to focus, a loss, stress from taking on too many things at once, a friend of yours randomly blowing up at you, and after all the day's hard work you have ZERO motivation to practice or play, or even do what you love to do.
It's almost frightening how similar your situations are with one another. They're almost synonymous. So I want to tell you all a few things. A few minor things.

First of all, most of you know my mother died almost 5 years ago. That is five years I will never get back. Through this time, my life was a fucking blur. I became a vegetable for many reasons, and Holly ended up supporting me financially, emotionally and even sometimes cooked for me. My anxiety got so bad I had to actually sit in the break room at her work for 8 hours because the moment I was away from her, it literally felt like I was going to die.
Yes, I needed to heal. But I also went through a lot of family bullshit for the last TWO years that took so much out of me, oftentimes I truly contemplated suicide. @RoaringRowanThunderBender , @Alicia Willis , Syn and Holly know about that. Because of the same things you guys have mentioned.
You're fucking shot. You're emotionally drained. You're tired. You hurt. And your family or your friends (who are suppose to lift you up) cause bullshit that truly takes the last bit of you because there is no escape from it. And you checkout. Maybe permanently.
Please don't.
Listen, in 5 years I could have had my album completely done and paid for. I could have gotten my ass on to my real estate and right now I could be living in a nice fucking house, paid in cash. I ALSO could have had TWO books done, instead of struggling to finish this one. Even losing a pound a month, I could be 60lbs down by now. Which is WAY smaller than where I am now. I could be fluent in Italian. I could have my debt paid off completely.
But I don't. I don't have any of that.
Why?
People took my time from me.
Worse?
I let it happen.
I also let fear consume me.

Now, I find myself stressed with anxiety trying to "make up for lost time". I'm trying to cram 12 hour days in without breaks, that oftentimes I get so stressed I don't even want to start my day. I have no idea what to make a priority, and I feel like I'm losing my mind. Until just now I realized to just enjoy the ride. Stop planning, start doing.

Now this ties into what I'm now OFFICIALLY DUBBING "Synner Saturdays."

IF YOU DON'T START DOING THIS I WILL PERSONALLY WORK MY ASS OFF TO SELL A HOUSE AND MAKE YOU DO IT ANYWAY. YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO MAKE IT HAPPEN

Starting TOMORROW...
I want EVERYONE (who reads this) to use Saturdays as THEIR day for guitar, if you can. I know everyone teases me about Bill, but he made a really good point about guitar schools he's seen before. He said, "Online guitar schools are fucking awesome. But the problem of it is, is that the community vibe can get so strong, that oftentimes students feel more compelled to help each other instead of focusing on their own personal growth."
So on Saturdays, it would be wonderful if we all just took ONE day to focus on our own growth. We take time to watch @Andrei Moraru 's amazing theory videos. We take time to watch a lesson and post our progress. We take time to explore our guitar and post up something we learned.
I'm not saying that I'm not seeing this. Because I AM seeing it now more than ever.
But you all deserve to have one day (even if it's not Saturday) to dedicate to yourself. Even if it's just an hour of your time of the day.

Take of this what you want to. I'll be making a 'riff' category entitled "Synner Saturdays" and I'm going to be following it to see what you all start doing on there. This is just me trying to make sure you give yourself your time to grow. CLICK IT HERE
And lastly,
Don't let anyone steal your time. If you do, before you know it, you're going to be 33 (like me) and feeling like you have to cram 5 years of success into one year. And that, my friends, can't be done.

Love you...
XOXO,
Jak

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    “I let fear consume me”

This single, simple, sentence holds so much weight to it.

Its surprisingly easy to let fear dictate even the most mundane tasks of your life— so much that you are left feeling “paralyzed ” , as you said. I have personally dealt with this myself on more than one occasion, for numerous reasons.

But, carving our time for YOU and something that you ENJOY and brings a smile to your face, even if you’re still learning and it’s not good, THAT means everything !

My dear friend, you have shown me that personally even if you didn’t know it.

It breaks my heart that so many of my friends are struggling here, but guys, just know you have a whole community here for you. I cannot speak for everyone, but for me personally, If anyone just needs an ear to listen I’m always here for any one of you guys !

Fuck, I’m getting long winded now 😂

Anywho, I’m beyond elated about the Synner Saturday ! I’ll definitely be on board, even if y’all see me doing the same fucking shit, I’ll fucking be there !!!!!!
    ❤️

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    To keep from making a long message, im just going to say this.

I understand. I tell very few people about the things going on in my personal life, im a very private person, and honestly, i love this idea Jak. Im more than happy to dedicate my saturdays (given i dont have to work) to bettering my playing. Much love Jak 🤘

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    I swear I don’t know what I would do without you jak! I’ve been struggling so much for the past few years and I can’t let go of how bad my high school days were and I still let it affect me today but hearing you say such positive and helpful things brightens my days! I will take part in synner Saturday for sure!

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    This, this, THIS!!! I love the idea so much!! Taking a day and dedicating it to improving what makes you happy, with the support and encouragement from the whole community, is awesome! It's so easy for things going on in life to destroy motivation (As I know too well), and as Jak has helped me realise, one of the most difficult parts is looking at it all and going "If I had just stayed motivated, I could've done this ages ago". And it's good to have goals, it's awesome to have something to work towards and know what you wanna do. But don't beat yourself up over it or try to rush getting there, especially when you've got things going on in life, because it will overwhelm you. That's what it did to me.

So, having one little thing, one lil light to focus on - even if it's just a little riff on a Saturday - is so much better than having nothing at all. Because that way, you're learning things you can use on your journey and you're not rushing. Soon enough, that will grow and so will we as guitarists. And that's the way you'll make it! So you bet I'll be taking part!!

(On a side note, has Jak become a carpenter or something too with the amount of nails she's hitting on the head? 😂 I'll leave the jokes to the pros)

Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I should probably get back to naming the notes on the fret board, and practice double stops from the CAGED system lessons.
    I really want to be comfortable with them and use it in improvs, been resting and working on my techniques. Also trying to strengthen my ring finger, as that's a weakness of mine. I use my pinky for power chords, should try to use my ring finger for spacing, been having to adjust my grip/hand position as well. I got really good tips and directions on where to look from everybody, feels like I learned a tremendous amount in such a short time being here. Really grateful and helps me Carry On! Thanks everyone for inspiring me so much

tamagotchigraveyard

Campfire Attention Holder
    Oct 26, 2020
    Charlotte, NC
    This is a good idea, thanks. I've been so busy with full time work and full time school, I hardly ever play. In the little free time I have, I tinker or run around town buying and trading shit, only to spend the money on guitar equipment that I never have time to use >_<. One day, I'll have time but yeah when that time comes I'd just be as shit as I am now if I don't practice lol. dog days of synner, lets do itttt

Reactions: Alicia Willis

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Love this message!! And 100℅ understand the struggle. I don't talk a lot about the struggles I go through because I don't want to be a burden to others that may have worse problems than me. But in the last few years I struggled and felt lost and drained a lot, I still do. I for sure will take part on this, don't know if I'll manage today but expect to see me there 🖤🖤

Last edited:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Ooh, I like this!

Let's see whether I'm able to finnish comfortably numb today 😅

Love this message!! And 100℅ understand the struggle. I don't talk a lot about the struggles I go through because I don't want to be a burden to others that may have worse problems than me. But in the last few years I struggled and felt lost and drained a lot, I still do. I for sure will take part on this, don't know if I'll manage today but expect to see me there 🖤🖤
    It's not a burden at all, if you want to talk you know where to find us.

devil'slittlesister

• Dec 13, 2020
    Massachusetts- USA
    instagram.com

It's your Momma Cat here. And I am taking a break from recording guitar tracks to dish a little bit of a positive message for you guys. I'm gonna try not to make this long. But it's me, so it probably will be.

First of all, I know SO many of you are going through some serious shit right now. And as I talk to you all off of the school, it has become apparent how much each and every one of you has similar issues. Family not being supportive, issues at home making it hard to focus, a loss, stress from taking on too many things at once, a friend of yours randomly blowing up at you, and after all the day's hard work you have ZERO motivation to practice or play, or even do what you love to do.
    It's almost frightening how similar your situations are with one another. They're almost synonymous. So I want to tell you all a few things. A few minor things.

First of all, most of you know my mother died almost 5 years ago. That is five years I will never get back. Through this time, my life was a fucking blur. I became a vegetable for many reasons, and Holly ended up supporting me financially, emotionally and even sometimes cooked for me. My anxiety got so bad I had to actually sit in the break room at her work for 8 hours because the moment I was away from her, it literally felt like I was going to die.
    Yes, I needed to heal. But I also went through a lot of family bullshit for the last TWO years that took so much out of me, oftentimes I truly contemplated suicide. @RoaringRowanThunderBender , @Alicia Willis , Syn and Holly know about that. Because of the same things you guys have mentioned.
    You're fucking shot. You're emotionally drained. You're tired. You hurt. And your family or your friends (who are suppose to lift you up) cause bullshit that truly takes the last bit of you because there is no escape from it. And you checkout. Maybe permanently.
    Please don't.
    Listen, in 5 years I could have had my album completely done and paid for. I could have gotten my ass on to my real estate and right now I could be living in a nice fucking house, paid in cash. I ALSO could have had TWO books done, instead of struggling to finish this one. Even losing a pound a month, I could be 60lbs down by now. Which is WAY smaller than where I am now. I could be fluent in Italian. I could have my debt paid off completely.
    Why?
    Worse?
    I let it happen.

Now, I find myself stressed with anxiety trying to "make up for lost time". I'm trying to cram 12 hour days in without breaks, that oftentimes I get so stressed I don't even want to start my day. I have no idea what to make a priority, and I feel like I'm losing my mind. Until just now I realized to just enjoy the ride. Stop planning, start doing.

IF YOU DON'T START DOING THIS I WILL PERSONALLY WORK MY ASS OFF TO SELL A HOUSE AND MAKE YOU DO IT ANYWAY. YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO MAKE IT HAPPEN

Starting TOMORROW...
    I want EVERYONE (who reads this) to use Saturdays as THEIR day for guitar, if you can. I know everyone teases me about Bill, but he made a really good point about guitar schools he's seen before. He said, "Online guitar schools are fucking awesome. But the problem of it is, is that the community vibe can get so strong, that oftentimes students feel more compelled to help each other instead of focusing on their own personal growth."
    So on Saturdays, it would be wonderful if we all just took ONE day to focus on our own growth. We take time to watch @Andrei Moraru 's amazing theory videos. We take time to watch a lesson and post our progress. We take time to explore our guitar and post up something we learned.
    I'm not saying that I'm not seeing this. Because I AM seeing it now more than ever.
    But you all deserve to have one day (even if it's not Saturday) to dedicate to yourself. Even if it's just an hour of your time of the day.

Take of this what you want to. I'll be making a 'riff' category entitled "Synner Saturdays" and I'm going to be following it to see what you all start doing on there. This is just me trying to make sure you give yourself your time to grow. CLICK IT HERE
    And lastly,
    Don't let anyone steal your time. If you do, before you know it, you're going to be 33 (like me) and feeling like you have to cram 5 years of success into one year. And that, my friends, can't be done.

Love you...
    XOXO,
    Jak
    I'm crying 😭 thank you so much for being so strong, still here, and for sharing 🖤🦇💫 this really meant a lot. Please don't hesitate to hit me up if you (this goes for everyone else here too, seriously) ever need me for any reason. ROCK. TF. ON 🤟

beatrix

• Sep 19, 2020
    Italy
    Jak, first of all, you made me cry with this message. you are a very strong person, i respect you incredibly. you motivated me a LOT with the phrase "stop planning, start doing". i’ve been playing for three years, but for over two years i’ve been facing struggles that i don’t want to name and that have prevented me from growing musically and living. i’ve iterally lost two years of my life, due to a demon that many know but i don't want to name. then, i know what it means to live with anxiety, and i know how much this takes away the time to devote to yourself. i really want to start dedicating time to myself, i am succeeding and i want to keep doing it, i don’t want to allow anything or anyone to stop me. despite everything is fucking going wrong. thanks Jak for motivating me today, you are always special, and you know how much i love you. (and i promise you that i will help you a lot with Italian, you’re already WAY SO GOOD!)

Reactions: Gabby Heafy

Riffs&Lix

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019

Please don't.
    Why?
    Worse?
    I let it happen.

Starting TOMORROW...

And lastly,

Love you...
    XOXO,
    Jak
    what a lovely thread.

Reactions: William B.