• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Posting on social media platforms

Dk6661

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 12, 2019
Missouri
How do i post a cover of a solo on yt or any social media platform without it getting copyrighted i never had to deal with it before until now i posted a solo of rebel love song a few days ago without anything happening but then i tried to post the set the world on fire solo today and it got blocked any tips for this sort of thing i've just never had to deal with it until now.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I just post them and usually they get demonetized and sometimes blocked depending on the artist.

A way around this would be to make everything in the track yourself. An easier solution is uploading it on vimeo. For some reason they aren't as strict with copyright.

Reactions: Dk6661

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
It's hit and miss, depending on the platform. Youtube, Insta and Facebook have become the worst. Vimeo is somewhat better.
Off topic, here is how the music business works. A song is recorded and published. Unless something special is negotiated, the writer owns 100% of the writer's royalties and the publisher owns 100% of the publishing royalties. It's confusing because that's 200%. But writing royalties and publishing royalties are completely different. The writer earns money when the song is played or used (on the radio, in a movie, etc.) The publisher makes money AND MORE IMPORTANTLY - controls where the song is used.
The publisher is the watchdog for copyright infringement on social media.
For instance - Syn has sent me links to A7X stuff being used on Youtube, (kids reacting to their songs, etc.). He loves it and thinks it's hilarious. Then the publisher yanks it down almost immediately. Publishers are only interested in making money off of the songs. No matter how harmless, if the songs are used without permission, there is no money.
Publishers now have programs (similar to Shazam) that scan social media and identify copyrighted material so it can be removed.
As far as artists go - unless their music is being used in a derogatory way, (like promoting a political candidate they don't agree with), they couldn't care less. And even if they did care, there is nothing they can do. The publisher controls the song.
Welcome to the music biz.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    It's hit and miss, depending on the platform. Youtube, Insta and Facebook have become the worst. Vimeo is somewhat better.
    Off topic, here is how the music business works. A song is recorded and published. Unless something special is negotiated, the writer owns 100% of the writer's royalties and the publisher owns 100% of the publishing royalties. It's confusing because that's 200%. But writing royalties and publishing royalties are completely different. The writer earns money when the song is played or used (on the radio, in a movie, etc.) The publisher makes money AND MORE IMPORTANTLY - controls where the song is used.
    The publisher is the watchdog for copyright infringement on social media.
    For instance - Syn has sent me links to A7X stuff being used on Youtube, (kids reacting to their songs, etc.). He loves it and thinks it's hilarious. Then the publisher yanks it down almost immediately. Publishers are only interested in making money off of the songs. No matter how harmless, if the songs are used without permission, there is no money.
    Publishers now have programs (similar to Shazam) that scan social media and identify copyrighted material so it can be removed.
    As far as artists go - unless their music is being used in a derogatory way, (like promoting a political candidate they don't agree with), they couldn't care less. And even if they did care, there is nothing they can do. The publisher controls the song.
    Welcome to the music biz.
    Yes that is quite a brutal reality though I am actually curious about how things will turn out in the near futur since the landscapes are changing and being independant slowly but surely becomes the norm.

Labels become less and less necessary with the power of the internet and things are changing fast. I have my theories about probable outcomes but I am curious about your take on what could happen?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Yes that is quite a brutal reality though I am actually curious about how things will turn out in the near futur since the landscapes are changing and being independant slowly but surely becomes the norm.

Labels become less and less necessary with the power of the internet and things are changing fast. I have my theories about probable outcomes but I am curious about your take on what could happen?
    Tbh, as far as the big artists goes most of them are still signed to a record label right?

Also, don't record labels also do things like promo for tours and especially the big ones seem to all be linked to record labels. I can't really remember ever seeing advertisement for a tour by an independent artist. Sure they can make youtube videos and release music but I think there's a reason all the big guns are still signed by a record label 😅

Reactions: Gabby Heafy

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Tbh, as far as the big artists goes most of them are still signed to a record label right?

Also, don't record labels also do things like promo for tours and especially the big ones seem to all be linked to record labels. I can't really remember ever seeing advertisement for a tour by an independent artist. Sure they can make youtube videos and release music but I think there's a reason all the big guns are still signed by a record label 😅
    Yes because the records label are aggressive to get them but as a matter of fact, a lot of them are considering going independent. Or at least fighting back. Example: Kanye West trying to get his masters back.

I heard Drake was considering not signing back to his label. It's on a case by case basis.
    In the metal world, Metallica became their own entity. They aren't signed to any labels anymore.
    And not necessairly about touring. Again, it's on a case by case basis. Some labels are only involved in the music release but have nothing to do with the tours.

But I am saying this because a lot of independent artists are getting a lot of success on their own without the labels. And if me, an average musician, can produce music on my own and release and recognize that i don't really need a label, then that's just the start of a new generation of, possibly, smarter musician in terms of business.

Before, you had no way to know how things worked really unless you were in the biz. But with the age of the internet, everything has changed. Labels are losing their power slowly, sure, but it's a ticking bomb. We'll see

Last edited:

Alina Peterson

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Germany
    I have a heart for independent labels, where artists can live their creativity without dictation.
    For example: Björk. She has been with OneLittleIndependent for decades and they give her space&freedom in creating her music and no deadlines for releases. She can take her time, even if it´s 4 years.
    I prefer to wait for a quality record over flawed records every 1-2 years.