• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Practice routine tips?

Dk6661

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 12, 2019
Missouri
Does anyone have any practice routine tips that could motivate me to want to practice because im in a phase right now to where i havent touched my guitar in a while because im lost on trying to figure out what to practice i know there's great lessons on here but how would i go about memorizing the theory when i forget things very easily and how would i go about practicing picking techniques if anyone has any feedback on practice routine tips that'd be great because i want to start playing again

J

Jak Angelescu

People on this website are probably going to get sick and tired of me talking about my teacher. But getting a private instructor was probably one of the best things I could have ever done for that exact purpose. I have a set thing each week that I'm supposed to practice and he gauges my progress each and every single time. For someone like me who is very sporadic, it has helped me to severely focus on one thing or whatever it is that I need to focus on for that week. It took a little bit of training for me to get the hang of it but it was the best thing I've ever done. He's also helped me get WAY more out of this site.

When you have a private instructor, they are able to gauge your progress and where you slack. And they are able to hone in on your weak spots and help you focus on progress. Some people don't need it and then some people do. I was one of the people that needed it.

Finger exercises are always a must in the beginning of every practice session. And then theory should be involved but of course this also depends on what kind of guitarist you want to be. That was the 1st thing my teacher asked me was what I wanted to learn and what I wanted to become. One of the most amazing things is that I have chosen a song where he helps me break it down bit-by-bit each week. I learn the theory, the technique and more. This could be a path for you! What kind of guitarist do you want to be?

Dk6661

Nov 12, 2019
Missouri
People on this website are probably going to get sick and tired of me talking about my teacher. But getting a private instructor was probably one of the best things I could have ever done for that exact purpose. I have a set thing each week that I'm supposed to practice and he gauges my progress each and every single time. For someone like me who is very sporadic, it has helped me to severely focus on one thing or whatever it is that I need to focus on for that week. It took a little bit of training for me to get the hang of it but it was the best thing I've ever done. He's also helped me get WAY more out of this site.

When you have a private instructor, they are able to gauge your progress and where you slack. And they are able to hone in on your weak spots and help you focus on progress. Some people don't need it and then some people do. I was one of the people that needed it.

Finger exercises are always a must in the beginning of every practice session. And then theory should be involved but of course this also depends on what kind of guitarist you want to be. That was the 1st thing my teacher asked me was what I wanted to learn and what I wanted to become. One of the most amazing things is that I have chosen a song where he helps me break it down bit-by-bit each week. I learn the theory, the technique and more. This could be a path for you! What kind of guitarist do you want to be?
Like hard rock/heavy metal style if thats what you mean by the type of guitarist that i want to be but i dont think thats what you were trying to ask me

Reactions: Jak Angelescu

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
First thing is probably trying to figure out what you would like to play, if it's covers learn some covers. If it's theory and how to do your own solos, try and jam over some backingtracks.

Another thing to realize is that practice doesn't necessarily have to be sitting down with a metronome and do a bunch of drill(that's boring af) if you just Jam you'll get a better understanding too.

What made you pick up the guitar in the first place?

Firsty Lasty

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I always recommend leaning hard into the good things that you like to actually do. If there's a technique that you like to practice, do it. If there's a technique that you don't like to practice, maybe fuck it. I go through phases where I gain or lose interest in different things such as learning music, drilling technique, or writing music. I never fight with myself about it, because once you start that internal conversation then guitar will probably lose to video games or watching youtube or whatever.

For learning theory, I'm kind of unusual in that I don't think it makes sense to prioritize it early on vs learning music and developing technique. It's good to know, but it's better to actually be able to play. The lessons here are super well-made, so just work through them at your own pace as your curiosity leads you.

For picking practice, I only improve when I slow way down to the point where I am in total relaxed control. No autopilot, no rushing, no mistakes, no trying to race a too-fast metronome, none of that. Don't get tense, don't get fatigued.

For overall practice tips, start by massaging the front and back of your forearms and let them relax. This is where your "finger muscles" actually exist, not in your fingers. Quickness, accuracy, and economy of motion are all lost when you get tense here. Take breaks as much as needed.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dk6661

Nov 12, 2019
Missouri
First thing is probably trying to figure out what you would like to play, if it's covers learn some covers. If it's theory and how to do your own solos, try and jam over some backingtracks.

Another thing to realize is that practice doesn't necessarily have to be sitting down with a metronome and do a bunch of drill(that's boring af) if you just Jam you'll get a better understanding too.

What made you pick up the guitar in the first place?
Synyster gates, marty friedman, and dimebag darrell are the ones who inspired me to pick up a guitar i love all of their styles and the way they approach the guitar

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Synyster gates, marty friedman, and dimebag darrell are the ones who inspired me to pick up a guitar i love all of their styles and the way they approach the guitar
Maybe try and look at some of their songs. If you have trouble getting into practicing learning some songs to get back into it is a pretty good way to do so. Remember, if you're having fun you're more likely to actually do it.

Reactions: Ed Seith and Dk6661

Dk6661

Nov 12, 2019
Missouri
I always recommend leaning hard into the good things that you like to actually do. If there's a technique that you like to practice, do it. If there's a technique that you don't like to practice, maybe fuck it. I go through phases where I gain or lose interest in different things such as learning music, drilling technique, or writing music. I never fight with myself about it, because once you start that internal conversation then guitar will probably lose to video games or watching youtube or whatever.

For learning theory, I'm kind of unusual in that I don't think it makes sense to prioritize it early on vs learning music and developing technique. It's good to know, but it's better to actually be able to play. The lessons here are super well-made, so just work through them at your own pace as your curiosity leads you.

For picking practice, I only improve when I slow way down to the point where I am in total relaxed control. No autopilot, no rushing, no mistakes, no trying to race a too-fast metronome, none of that. Don't get tense, don't get fatigued.

For overall practice tips, start by massaging the front and back of your forearms and let them relax. This is where your "finger muscles" actually exist, not in your fingers. Quickness, accuracy, and economy of motion are all lost when you get tense here. Take breaks as much as needed.
Thank you for that tip that actually is one of my problems i like to rush into things without taking baby steps then i end up stressing out and im always getting tensed which doesnt help m
Maybe try and look at some of their songs. If you have trouble getting into practicing learning some songs to get back into it is a pretty good way to do so. Remember, if you're having fun you're more likely to actually do it.
Thanks ids i will do that

Reactions: Chris Johnston

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Does anyone have any practice routine tips that could motivate me to want to practice because im in a phase right now to where i havent touched my guitar in a while because im lost on trying to figure out what to practice i know there's great lessons on here but how would i go about memorizing the theory when i forget things very easily and how would i go about practicing picking techniques if anyone has any feedback on practice routine tips that'd be great because i want to start playing again

Hey man! There's some amazing advice here already. So here's my two cents:

Reading your post, the phrase 'Analysis Paralysis' comes to mind! I've been there myself.

Try not to think too much into how you want to re-approach your instrument. There is no right or wrong move as long as you guitar is in your hands. It's sitting there, so all you need to do is pick it up and sit and explore it for a while without putting any pressure on yourself to be doing a certain thing. It's supposed to be fun 🤟

For me, I find the minute that I label something as a 'practice routine' I never stick to it, because my brain converts it into this clinical thing, and it becomes less appealing. So my advice there would be to have a good search and find 1 thing that you're crazy about and want to improve on. Maybe it's picking, scales, chords, writing, 1 line from a solo you love - anything at all - and just try and geek out over it! Watch as many videos as you can find to inspire you and to give you good information and before you know it, you'll be sitting working on whatever you want to do - it also wont seem like work because you'll be enjoying doing it every day. It's essentially training yourself to develop a bit of an obsession, so that you don't need to be motivated to do it.

The only real thing you'll need to figure out is what you want to do?

Hope this helped and good luck!

J

Jak Angelescu

Synyster gates, marty friedman, and dimebag darrell are the 3 guitarists i look up to i love all of their styles and the way they approach the guitar
    Well the first two guitarists that you mentioned know their theory for sure. So you definitely want to include that in your practicing. And I agree with Chris above - don't have analysis paralysis. That actually was a perfect description for that! I used to suffer from that as well. Actually I probably suffer from that in all aspects of my life! The biggest thing I can tell you is to be accountable. Show up for it like it's your livelihood. You should really try to pick a song that makes you a better guitarist. Pick a song that you really want to play that's challenging that you can practice every day, utilize these lessons for references and post your progress here. That helps so many people in so many different ways.

My teacher tells me you are only as good with what you know by how well you can teach it. I would really start digging into these lessons as hard as possible because there are so many things in there that will help you become like those kind of guitarists.

My practice regimen usually looks like this- I always start with finger exercises first. And then as I am practicing my scales, I make sure my theory is fresh. But my theory Training coincides with finding intervals, and finding arpeggios and triads and things like that. So as I am practicing scales and chord formations, I'm learning and refreshing my memory.
    I used to sit there and watch boring videos about lick training. Until my teacher told me that learning songs will help you learn licks as well as teach you why they work. Some people can watch lick videos, I however find them boring. I really only spend about an hour on things like exercises theory and scales. The other several hours I spend learning how to write, compose and learn songs.
    And of course I speckle in these lessons every day

Dk6661

Nov 12, 2019
    Missouri
    Well the first two guitarists that you mentioned know their theory for sure. So you definitely want to include that in your practicing. And I agree with Chris above - don't have analysis paralysis. That actually was a perfect description for that! I used to suffer from that as well. Actually I probably suffer from that in all aspects of my life! The biggest thing I can tell you is to be accountable. Show up for it like it's your livelihood. You should really try to pick a song that makes you a better guitarist. Pick a song that you really want to play that's challenging that you can practice every day, utilize these lessons for references and post your progress here. That helps so many people in so many different ways.

My teacher tells me you are only as good with what you know by how well you can teach it. I would really start digging into these lessons as hard as possible because there are so many things in there that will help you become like those kind of guitarists.

My practice regimen usually looks like this- I always start with finger exercises first. And then as I am practicing my scales, I make sure my theory is fresh. But my theory Training coincides with finding intervals, and finding arpeggios and triads and things like that. So as I am practicing scales and chord formations, I'm learning and refreshing my memory.
    I used to sit there and watch boring videos about lick training. Until my teacher told me that learning songs will help you learn licks as well as teach you why they work. Some people can watch lick videos, I however find them boring. I really only spend about an hour on things like exercises theory and scales. The other several hours I spend learning how to write, compose and learn songs.
    And of course I speckle in these lessons every day
    Thanks jak this is very helpful im gonna pick up my guitar and head over to the lessons and see what i can do today and just have fun with it

Pablo De Miguel

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Play different stuff,never get stuck with just one stile of music or one tipe of excercise,play differen tipes of music, different bands,work with a wide variey of excersices(tapping,sweeping,alternative picking,economy picking,finger picking,guitar slap...whatever you want to improve or learn), improvise(with different scales, different backing tracks, use different techniques...try to be creative).
    I hope this is helpfull for you :)

Reactions: Dk6661
    Everyone here game some great advice! I don't really have anything more to add other than share with you this practice routine videos I made for some students a few months ago. They are designed so you can follow along and targeted for some fundamental skills. While you figure out what you want to focus on, some of these exercises have been extremely helpful to me and I think they might help you as well. :)

Dk6661

Nov 12, 2019
    Missouri
    Everyone here game some great advice! I don't really have anything more to add other than share with you this practice routine videos I made for some students a few months ago. They are designed so you can follow along and targeted for some fundamental skills. While you figure out what you want to focus on, some of these exercises have been extremely helpful to me and I think they might help you as well. :)

Thank you ailee both videos were very helpful i never even thought about doing hand stretches before i start playing

• Love
    Reactions: AGA