• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Practice ?

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    It could be anything even just learning to use the metronome as a practice or listening
    I think it's good to isolate what you want to practice do it and than jam out ( have fun ) switch what your doing
    The switch is good cause the information and movements kind of settle and next time things should be easier
    Stamina comes overtime and I think guitar things are incremental like has a snowball buildup effect
    maybe I used the word wrong I need to go

the metronome you can play it on the click or after
    I think after the click is called off-beat
    I usually set it at a low speed cause if things start to turn into triplets or more its hard to play with the click and I think time resets but I don;t really know how to explain it

Upvote 0

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    This will be a case of "Do as I say, and not as I do", because I'm terrible with sticking to the practice regimes I set myself to. But ideally, a good warmup exercise (I think I have a video on my fav, the Spider exercise somewhere in my media posts. If not, I'll link it) to get ya started, then I would work on my main goal for that session (so if my goal is scales, I'll work on those with a metronome - If you would like me to make a video demonstration to try and help you, lemme know!), and then when I'm done with that, I'll play something fun or just mess around, kinda to just chill out and enjoy playing. How long for? I guess that depends. The worst thing is doing it for too long and being totally burnt out. 15-30 mins a day is better than nothing at all.

But mainly, just make sure you're having fun with what you're doing!

Upvote 0

ori moshe

One Stringer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Israel
    hey bro I usually start with few minutes of warm up for both my hands then I practice all the riffs and solos that are difficult and improving my technique(don't do the same thing too much or it'll crazy you a bit be diverse) then just playing and having fun mostly cause that's the most important thing don't forget it!

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Ideally, I have a similar practice plan as Wildcat. When I have time 😅😅 when I don't, I either just do my usual warm up routine or I go straight for that solo/riff/scale etc I'm working on.
    Oh, edit: I know practicing with a metronome is difficult at times and boring..but it is so important!! Please try to use it as much as you can, you will see the results!!

Upvote 0
    T

TheRedMageGuitarist

When you guys practise what do you exactly do . I learn a song for like 30 mins , then some practice from syns ettudes for 20 mins . Any suggestions ?
    Btw I dont know how to use a metronome , tried it , saw a lot of vids , still unclear to me
    I would personally swap your etudes and your song practice, to be honest. The etudes are absolutely perfect for warmups and they really amp up your picking technique. But that's my personal opinion. Doing that really took my lead playing to a whole new level! Here's my personal routine...depending on the day.

Etudes: 20 mins each for alternate, legato, sweeping, economy
    Song practice: 60 mins
    Lesson practice: 60 minutes
    Song practice: 60 minutes

A great rule of thumb, I've found, is to allot yourself AT LEAST half the time studying technique and then half the time practicing songs. Classical for me is different though. When I'm practicing classical, it's like 3 hours of technique and 1 hour of repertoire. Because that's just what those nutjobs do :cautious: :cautious:

Upvote 0
    T

TheRedMageGuitarist

Also about your metronome practice issue, what exactly is it that you don't understand? I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can. I'm primarily a rhythm player and rhythm and metronome work is my passion for sure! But don't worry, some people can't grasp the concept right off the bat. We all excel at different things :)

So, what exactly are you having issues with?

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    When you guys practise what do you exactly do . I learn a song for like 30 mins , then some practice from syns ettudes for 20 mins . Any suggestions ?
    Btw I dont know how to use a metronome , tried it , saw a lot of vids , still unclear to me
    I did a video about using a metronome last year. Maybe it will be helpful. If not, Jak (RedMage) has got your back!

• Love
    Reactions: Chris Johnston
    Upvote 0

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    So your first question can have a million different answers - the reason for this is that what you should practice will depend largely on what your Goals are.

They might be short term goals, but they'll give you some direction to put your time to good use.

For example, say your goal is to play one of Syn's Etudes to improve your technique. You'll want to work out where you struggle with the etude/where you feel the least in control of your instrument, and slow it down, either with the speed setting on the video or using a metronome. Then work is up slowly until it's comfortable (@Ed Seith 's video is great for Metronome undersranding).

One thing that helps me is to write on a sheet of paper all of the things I want to do Guitar wise, along with all of the things I dislike about my playing - you almost start telling yourself what your goals are. No matter how simple they are, its crucial to have them 😊

This response is wordy enough already, but at the moment I'm trying to improve with Improvising over chord changes with Triads - So I'm picking a chord progression each time and (to a metronome) trying to play triads for each that voice lead well into each other - My goal is to be able to hear a progression & confidently hit all of the changes 🤟

Upvote 0