• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Practicing each lesson

sadeq1373

One Stringer
May 3, 2022
Hello all,
well I’ve recently come to know this amazing school with very cool environment. However, i have a general question about practicing each session. I mean as the lessons go by we definitely learn more material and more chords etc. so my question is how one should practice them. Like for example should we really master all the chords and switching between them before going to the next lesson? And in case we don’t need to be perfect to go to the next lesson, shall i practice all the previous materials everyday or there’s a better way to practice them.
Thanks in advance for your answers! :)

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    It could be like having categories like a lesson on theory like watching a video or learning something from charts/explanations, observations.
    Practice could be putting that theory into practice/trying it out, thinking about it and ear training. That's something like trying to play what you hear or figure stuff out and maybe relating what you hear to what you're playing. Probably more.
    I go slow sometimes cause retention

Reactions: sadeq1373
    Upvote 0

sadeq1373

One Stringer
    May 3, 2022
    I think it's okay to move on once you understand the lesson. It doesn't have to be perfect. Playing guitar is a physical activity, it takes time to get used to it. Just keep practicing them. You can combine what you learn in the lessons too.
    Thanks! I think what you are saying makes sense that guitar is a physical activity and I;m realizing the more i practice also different new stuff I can do the previous ones that I couldn't do before, pretty easier!

Upvote 0

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    The only way to retain the information is to apply it to your playing. So if you're playing a song that has C Am Dm G7 - try playing it in a different position. Practice it for a few minutes a day for a week, then move positions again and do that for a week. It's virtually impossible to retain information without putting into some sort of practical application.
    So in short, whatever you're working on - apply it to a song.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

sadeq1373

One Stringer
    May 3, 2022
    The only way to retain the information is to apply it to your playing. So if you're playing a song that has C Am Dm G7 - try playing it in a different position. Practice it for a few minutes a day for a week, then move positions again and do that for a week. It's virtually impossible to retain information without putting into some sort of practical application.
    So in short, whatever you're working on - apply it to a song.
    It really took me a while to really understand this comment of yours and it's because I did not get it what it means to play some chords in different position! Now that I've learnt about the CAGED sys, it all makes sense and I realized this's an amazing tip! thanks a bunch!

Upvote 0