• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Practicing Too Much & My New Guitar Idol

J

Jak Angelescu

Ooohhkay, buckle up kittens because this is going to be a little bit of a long post. I don't know where to start. Many of you know my backstory in music but just to recap for the purpose of new students and this post:
Even though I grew up in a musical family, I always had to play what my dad wanted me to play. All of my own music was usually made fun of, or he constantly wanted me to learn HIS style. Even though my brother was a drummer (and a fucking awesome one), I wasn't allowed to play with him unless I learned the songs he wanted to play by the time he got home from work. Needless to say, the shit he was wanting me to play at that age was completely impossible for me only being 13 with no teacher. Then I lost my bassist at age 17 because I couldn't (not wouldn't) play heavy music. Then came one fateful night of trying to learn Sweet Child O' Mine's solo (I already had the whole song learned in general) and I spent HOURS sitting on the bed with Holly on the floor watching me. Every mistake was agonizing. I felt she was watching me and judging my every move because I feared I wasn't going to be good enough.
In Los Angeles, as now you all mostly know, I was ALWAYS judged by my playing. And it wasn't just my playing, it was "Oh that's how YOU practice? That's not good enough." Or "You only practice two hours a day? HA! I practice TEN hours a day." And being in the rat race to try to join some sort of tribute band so I could be somewhat taken seriously (because that's how you were judged out there), I couldn't play Maiden. I struggled with Priest. I felt not good enough. Yet I did manage to land the spot in a Priest Tribute band.
At this time I didn't have the heart to tell Holly "I'm losing my love for the instrument."

Now flash forward to just last night:
I've been really discovering new guitarists and music I LOVE. Especially Sonata Arctica, Gus G and Bill Hudson. My mind just exploded with the sheer sexiness of these guys' speed, accuracy and more importantly musical knowledge. I watched Bill do a playthrough of a song from his band NorthTale and I sadly sank thinking, "Am I ever going to be able to play like that?" Because of my short fingers, I thought speed and reach was never going to happen. Until I saw Jayden Tatasciore. Then I knew better. But there's something I have that Jayden doesn't have. And that's a vagina and a pair of boobs. What I mean is that, ALL OF MY IDOLS ARE MEN. Every time I look at female 'shredders', they're heavily legato-based, when they DO shred with alternate picking they're incredibly sloppy (the great Kat), they speed up their videos (Tina S), or they only do quick bursts of fast licks. With men naturally having stronger fingers and hands (let's face it, they do), I was so upset thinking that maybe biologically I would never be able to do that.

Enter Li-Sa X

Not only is she a girl, she's now only 15 years old. She has impressed the greats like Paul Gilbert and Kiko Loureiro. She was playing one of Kiko's hardest songs at age 8. Is she a child prodigy? Some people could say yes. Until I watched this and found out her practice method. Bless Kiko for really breaking this down.

Lately I've been practicing for 4-5 hours a day. But to be honest it's fucking GRUELING doing it. I don't like it. My butt goes numb, my shoulders hurt. My brain becomes gel. And I have no time for anything fun. Guitar has become more work for me than anything and I hate it. My hands are always sore.

Jayden T also has stated he practices for roughly 2 hours a day. But the biggest thing I've taken away from this ties in what Syn told me. "It's mostly about finding the right things to practice and practice what you love and want to learn." This is what these two kids do. Granted, I'm also doing classical guitar so I'll probably need to spend about 3 hours.
Li-Sa has also composed her own music. And she openly admitted it was far more difficult than learning covers. But she's trying and she's succeeding. She's definitely my only female inspiration so far. I just love her. She and this video from Kiko really took a load off for me and I hope it does for you as well.

I'm looking forward to a fresh, new perspective on practicing today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
We always gotta find new heroes to inspire us to pursue this with even more passion.

I know you hate Nita Strauss...but she kicks ass playing. What about Lita Ford?

One of my favourite players that happens to be female is Yvette Young, not a shredder but she kicks all bunch of ass.

Regarding the practicing....I feel you so damn much.....its been hard for me too. I I gotta rework my routine otherwise I won't make it.

• Love
Reactions: Jak Angelescu
J

Jak Angelescu

We always gotta find new heroes to inspire us to pursue this with even more passion.

I know you hate Nita Strauss...but she kicks ass playing. What about Lita Ford?

One of my favourite players that happens to be female is Yvette Young, not a shredder but she kicks all bunch of ass.

Regarding the practicing....I feel you so damn much.....its been hard for me too. I I gotta rework my routine otherwise I won't make it.
I love Lita but she doesn't shred like what I'm talking about. It's not about me hating Nita, she's heavily legato based. And I've only heard her do the technique I'm talking about once in her new album.
I'll check out Yvette! Thanks so much!!

Reactions: Christian Schulze

Anthony Peña

Hot Topic Tourer
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Denton, TX
    I love the honesty you bring to the table, Jak. I honestly think reading your post has made me realize that I've been feeling similarly. While I don't practice five hours a day like you (it's more like 2 or 3), I do relate to it feeling like all work and no play. I think it's important to find a healthy balance between self-acceptance and self-improvement, in guitar playing as well as most aspects of life. I'm glad you've found a female guitarist you can look up to, and I hope you start to find new ways to enjoy practicing, while still seeing improvement. Remember why you picked up guitar and fell in love with music in the first place. It's exciting, beautiful, and can be fun as hell! Don't lose your inner creativity by always trying be a robotic learner. I'm saying all of these things not to try to make it seem like I think I have it figured it out; rather to say that I feel the same feelings you do sometimes, and I have to remind myself of these things constantly. Hope this helps. You rock!

J

Jak Angelescu

Li-Sa is from another world. What a dynamo! Check out Alyssaj.day on IG. I like her.
    Holy shit she kind of has what I've been looking for too! I will admit she's a little arpeggio happy and tap happy. But when she shreds that's what I'm talking about! I'm not saying that these other girls can't play fast. But there's a specific speed and approach to it that's what I'm looking for and she definitely does it!

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection
    J

Jak Angelescu

I love the honesty you bring to the table, Jak. I honestly think reading your post has made me realize that I've been feeling similarly. While I don't practice five hours a day like you (it's more like 2 or 3), I do relate to it feeling like all work and no play. I think it's important to find a healthy balance between self-acceptance and self-improvement, in guitar playing as well as most aspects of life. I'm glad you've found a female guitarist you can look up to, and I hope you start to find new ways to enjoy practicing, while still seeing improvement. Remember why you picked up guitar and fell in love with music in the first place. It's exciting, beautiful, and can be fun as hell! Don't lose your inner creativity by always trying be a robotic learner. I'm saying all of these things not to try to make it seem like I think I have it figured it out; rather to say that I feel the same feelings you do sometimes, and I have to remind myself of these things constantly. Hope this helps. You rock!
    I literally have no words for your response! Your talk about self acceptance And self improvement is incredible. I literally loved every single word you wrote! I found it very inspirational and very moving and I love you so much for it!

LOVE THIS! That's a great video Jak, thank you for sharing! I agree, I've been there too, where practicing was such a chore. I knew I had to change my mentality. My mindset with singing has always been so much healthier than my mindset with guitar when it came to what @Anthony Peña was talking about, accepting where you are at any given time and improving without beating yourself up.

The school has been massive for helping me change that unhealthy mindset, I feel my relationship with guitar is better than it's ever been because of that acceptance and what PG said about figuring out the kind of player you want to be.

This video made me feel so good! I've been enjoying practicing very slowly lately, and learning songs section by section. The break in between is such a great point too. I used to try to sit for 2 hrs straight. (Also yeah! How come butt numbness is never talked about?! 😂 It's a real thing!)

Anthony Peña

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Denton, TX
    LOVE THIS! That's a great video Jak, thank you for sharing! I agree, I've been there too, where practicing was such a chore. I knew I had to change my mentality. My mindset with singing has always been so much healthier than my mindset with guitar when it came to what @Anthony Peña was talking about, accepting where you are at any given time and improving without beating yourself up.

The school has been massive for helping me change that unhealthy mindset, I feel my relationship with guitar is better than it's ever been because of that acceptance and what PG said about figuring out the kind of player you want to be.

This video made me feel so good! I've been enjoying practicing very slowly lately, and learning songs section by section. The break in between is such a great point too. I used to try to sit for 2 hrs straight. (Also yeah! How come butt numbness is never talked about?! 😂 It's a real thing!)
    Thanks for quoting me! So many of us feel these things, and I don't know why so many times we feel bad about it and try to cover it up. Pain is human, and that's how we grow :). Also yeah- my ass goes numb every day.

Reactions: AGA

Nocturne

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Dec 1, 2019
    France
    Thank you for sharing that, it's always good to take some perspective and question what you are doing. And most importantly, I think that it's very important to follow what you want to do and practice what you want to practice, play what you want to play, because being motivated is the key to better learning.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Honestly, I need to turn off my brain for a bit Every once on a while.
    I even do so during exams(like wander around for 5 minutes after every question or so), I do the same when practicing every 15 minute or so I take a little break consisting off going to the toilet, checking my email, cooking dinner or whatever. It's always just a break of 5-15 minutes. I rarely practice for hours straight. I very much believe you should study/practice something as long as you feel it's productive, That greatly amplifies your progress and will to continue doing it and therefore get better.

That's just my two cents on a side note I always envied lisa-x a little bit, how is it possible she can do Paul Gilbert stretches with those hands 😱

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    While not 'shredders', two other current great female guitarists that come to mind are Lari Basilio and Molly Tuttle.

I have found the best protection against the dreaded affliction that is 'Numb Bum' is drinking, not only are you regularly getting up to grab a fresh beer (or your prefered beverage), the more you put down the more frequent bathroom breaks are required, effectively doubling your breaks!

Kai C

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    "It's mostly about finding the right things to practice and practice what you love and want to learn." This is some sage advice from the man himself, thank you for sharing that first off!

I can relate in many other ways, like my other hobbies and work: the drive to constantly improve kills the desire to do it in the first place. Some advice Syn has shared before was that we're united by a passion; something, anything. His words and actions speak so much volume to his character and that's why he's my hero. Ok... enough fanboying... The reason I shared those words are because we're all here for finding passion in an era where it seems to have been stomped out by the corporate agenda. And in this day and age it seems like an impossible mountain to climb to make it as a musician. I've given up on that idea before even starting, and am really focusing on doing everything that is fun and rewarding for me. But you have been at this so long and are doing so well. Don't let your passion and enjoyment die down, I think that's something that sets you apart. I'm glad that it seems you're taking the advice you've been given and it's awesome you found a new idol!

Reactions: carlosmqr

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    It’s funny what the video said is exactly how I practice 😂 I felt bad that I practiced this way cuz everyone was like no you need to do 5 hours straight but I just couldn’t focus and I bet barely anyone can. If anyone practices like that good for you :LOL: I just don’t think it’s a healthy way to practice.

something I do which I think is a good practice tip is to focus on one playing style until you feel comfortable. Like practice thrash metal techniques, nu metal techniques etc... for example Billie joe of green day is the reason I play guitar today, so I used to focus on playing there songs and power chords until it became easy and now it takes me 5 to 10 minutes to learn a green day song and I did the same thing for system of a down. Take it slow and when your comfortable move to something new so you don’t have all these things to focus on. but if you want to focus on more maybe do one day one technique and the next day a different one

This is weird but I also find it helps if your guitar idols are open about there struggles with playing and willing to give there advice or tips, like syn does. Just knowing how much syn cares about his fans and wants to help makes me extremely happy to call him of my biggest inspirations. The same goes for Dj ashba, he does live streams for fans to ask questions about guitar or music in general and he also answers private messages sometimes and likes almost everyone’s Instagram posts. People like them make me excited to play and feel confident in my playing!

we're all here for finding passion in an era where it seems to have been stomped out by the corporate agenda. And in this day and age it seems like an impossible mountain to climb to make it as a musician.
    I have to respectfully disagree on this point. There has never been a better time to be a musician than the present we are living in.

Back in the day if you were lucky enough to be picked up by a label and commercially successful enough to make their investment in you worth while, then you "made it". There were countless stories of people who never even got a chance, people who were signed to a label but their music was never released, and even among the few who "made it", lost ownership of their own music. This was the case for Metallica, who had to fight for years to buy their masters back. And a more recent case is Taylor Swift, whose catalog got sold to someone else WITHOUT her consent. Many cases of "I was too young when I signed and didn't know any better."

But with the rise and accessibility of the internet and technology, anyone has the tools necessary to produce their own music and release it while having full ownership of what they create. I'm not saying it's a piece of cake to be an independent artist or a producer, just because the tools are out there doesn't make a person competent, but it provides an opportunity that wasn't there before.
    If a person is willing to put in the time and effort it takes to become a proficient songwriter and producer and learn about the business and about multiple income streams, it is possible to have a career in music today.

Kai C

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    @Aileé Guerra Aréizaga and I will have to respectfully disagree to your respectful disagreement! ... Jk. I know from your media you have a good background in what your saying so I trust what you're saying and agree with many talking points. I have zero experience in the realm and my background is coming from the perspective of as someone new who would have to climb that mountain if I chose to gave up everything to pursue guitar as a career. Which I have no intention of because I have built so much into my life that I love, this is just a very exhilarating hobby for me. The majority of information I consume on this topic is from Rick Beato's channel, which I believe is a good source of information.

The good points you have are that yes, we are seeing a lot more light being shed on the corruption of the industry and people are taking to working for themselves. With Spotify, YouTube, and Instagram I'm sure we're about to see an even greater influx of people making a living as solo artists are collaboration efforts brought together by digital editing rather than a traditional band setting. We're going to see a lot more cross genre usage instead of straight rock or metal. That's my prediction.

But the original point where I'm coming from is what @Edward John pointed out... There is a mass influx of artists in the spotlight. I would venture a guess that it really hasn't changed much more population wise over the last 20 years, but now people who wouldn't even have been heard back then can self promote and be seen. It's going take more than just serious guitar chops to be seen. Although you can argue it always has required that. But it's also going to require an extensive social media presence, extensive education, and a background. Competition is great; it's the necessity for improvement. But inevitably it can break down to who has the best running start like to who has the best equipment, and not just guitar wise but computer and audio capturing wise. And like American football or Hockey it will be about who has the most supportive families/coaches who are willing to relocate their child or put up a lot to get them into the industry. Jayden and Li-Sa are wonderful players and I am excited to see where they go, but look at the background work their parents put in for them. Definitely not saying they haven't put in the work, that would be a disrespect to them. But they've been very fortunate with very supportive families.

Reactions: AGA