• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Practise and the next level

Luke Glendinning

Garage band Groupie
Aug 18, 2020
What’s up family? I’ve been playing for about 4 years (sadly) on and off. Typically the way she goes is I play for a bit, get frustrated that I’m not progressing super well despite not practising things that will help me progress, and tuck my guitar away for a month or so before I start it again.

LATELY I’ve been taking it much more serious, signed up to learn from Papa Gates with all you beautiful people, and enrolled in in person lessons to take my playing from “somewhat okay rhythm guy” to certified bad ass! Here is a jam from this morning
Constructive comments only please! I know I have a few bad habits and a long way to go, but I’m not looking back!
Oh and did I mention I picked up MY DREAM GUITAR? I’m loving it!

cheers guys, and until we can play lessons again, here is a little something 😉 let me know if these links don’t work!

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Hey Glenn. First off, solid tone you've got there (nice guitar).

There are two things that stick for me as things to work on. The first is that when playing rhythm and chords, you're often straying a little too far away from the FEEL of the rhythm. I do that from time to time myself, but I do it because I *want* to. Listen to the kick and snare drums and isolate Zacky's rhythm playing to really FEEL what he's doing down there. Drums are the GOSPEL. You ALWAYS follow the drummer.

Second, and I think you *might* know this, on your single note lines (main theme/melody) you're playing mostly upstrokes with your pick. This is the least-smooth approach, with all downstrokes being slightly better, and alternate picking being smoothest.

You put more time into those things, and you'll be bad ass in no time. Thanks for posting!

Luke Glendinning

Garage band Groupie
    Aug 18, 2020
    Thanks for the tips Ed! Really appreciated
    I’ll definitely spend some time listening to the rhythm track over again to get the feel instead of just freestyling it
    And yes :( the dreaded upstroke pick
    I did that for about 3.5 years (don’t ask me why) and now just trying to shed that bad habit. Hoping some lessons and someone constantly pointing it out will re wire the brain! Thanks again, I’ll keep on it!

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Thanks for the tips Ed! Really appreciated
    I’ll definitely spend some time listening to the rhythm track over again to get the feel instead of just freestyling it
    And yes :( the dreaded upstroke pick
    I did that for about 3.5 years (don’t ask me why) and now just trying to shed that bad habit. Hoping some lessons and someone constantly pointing it out will re wire the brain! Thanks again, I’ll keep on it!
    It’s all about the muscle memory. Your brain is wired to do upstrokes since you’ve done them for so long. I was a downstroke gal for EVERYTHING FOREVER until everyone kept telling me to alt pick…and they were right.
    For me, small little exercises like just running through a pentatonic scale and really focusing to only alt picking helped. I used to just sit and do it while watching tv sometimes and it clicked pretty quick.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Luke Glendinning

Garage band Groupie
    Aug 18, 2020
    It’s all about the muscle memory. Your brain is wired to do upstrokes since you’ve done them for so long. I was a downstroke gal for EVERYTHING FOREVER until everyone kept telling me to alt pick…and they were right.
    For me, small little exercises like just running through a pentatonic scale and really focusing to only alt picking helped. I used to just sit and do it while watching tv sometimes and it clicked pretty quick.
    That’s awesome, yeah through every excersize in the library I’ve been alt picking
    I will take your suggestion and practice that while watching a movie or something, lord knows my ADHD ass could use some extra stim 😂 thank you! You guys are awesome. Haven’t met a more supportive group of guitarists like this, pretty cool

Luke Glendinning

Garage band Groupie
    Aug 18, 2020
    That’s what we go for, so thank you!
    Question for you and @Alicia Willis- when alternate picking- is it inherently problematic or “wrong” to start with an upstroke instead of a down? I notice even when I start with a downstroke the upstroke just takes over in a reverse economy type deal. Ex. Down up, next string up down, up down, up down
    Instead of alternating properly or using the economy approach. Seems I default to what’s normal for me. I would appreciate some insight from the two of you!

Reactions: Alicia Willis
    Synner Endless Summer Collection