• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

prevent unwanted sound

Clainsman

Garage band Groupie
Aug 17, 2021
Hello,
are there certain tricks or techniques to prevent unwanted noise when moving the fingers away from a grip?
If I try to play a part of a solo and move up a string, I feel like I let go of the string to fast, which then creates sound...

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Jamie London

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Eliminating unwanted noise is a huge part of playing guitar with high gain. There are several techniques that can help

Picking hand - any string heavier than the one you're playing on should be muted with the flesh of the palm, just like how you do chugging. You can also use the pinky to mute the high strings, if you can figure it out.

Fret hand - Use fingers or parts of fingers to lightly lay across as many strings higher than the one you're playing on. Your first finger can also lightly touch the next lowest string to help mute it.

Moving the fret hand - be decisive. Either lift the finger fully off the string before you move the hand, or keep pressing lightly down so your movement is a slide. Anything in-between, especially on wound strings (EAD) will result in noise.

Also, it sounds like when you're "letting go" of the string, you might be doing more of a pull-off than just lifting the finger straight off, but that's just going by the way you described it.

Clainsman

Garage band Groupie
    Aug 17, 2021
    Eliminating unwanted noise is a huge part of playing guitar with high gain. There are several techniques that can help

Picking hand - any string heavier than the one you're playing on should be muted with the flesh of the palm, just like how you do chugging. You can also use the pinky to mute the high strings, if you can figure it out.

Fret hand - Use fingers or parts of fingers to lightly lay across as many strings higher than the one you're playing on. Your first finger can also lightly touch the next lowest string to help mute it.

Moving the fret hand - be decisive. Either lift the finger fully off the string before you move the hand, or keep pressing lightly down so your movement is a slide. Anything in-between, especially on wound strings (EAD) will result in noise.

Also, it sounds like when you're "letting go" of the string, you might be doing more of a pull-off than just lifting the finger straight off, but that's just going by the way you described it.
    okok, thanks
    yeah I recently started really playing but the tipp with the palm will probably help😅
    and I think the pull-off you described is the main problem haha

Upvote 0

Paul Walsh

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    I've been practicing the arpeggio's right after the solo in bat country and the string noise I have been struggling with as much as the picking itself. I'm hoping as I practice, it becomes more natural, it's frustrating enough when flubbing the picking which I've been doing as an exercise to improve my right hand technique, now the string noise has become something I'm trying to mitigate with both hands at once. Thanks for the above pointers.

Reactions: Jamie London
    Upvote 0