• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Pro tools installing third party amp sims

Alec Lewis

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
  • Nov 11, 2019
    So I got my Focusrite Scarlett Solo for Christmas and i've just about got everything set up right, now im just trying to figure out how to get my amp sims to pull up in the pro tools software. Pro Tools First on Windows 64-Bit is the specific version im using and the amp sims i downloaded are the two free amps from ML Soundlabs: Roots and Stevie T Amped Sims. Here is a step by step of me installing the amp sims:
    1. I created my ML Soundlabs account and purchased the two free amp sims
    2. I downloaded the Zip Files for both amp sims to my Downloads folder on my Laptop
    3. I unzipped the folders and ran the installations for both
    4. Installed the two amp sim applications to a file on my desktop (when I open the Amped files they work fine)

The problem I am having is that when I go into Pro Tools I can't find the plugins under the plug ins drop menu. My immediate thought was that maybe they were downloaded onto separate hard drives and that's why pro tools couldn't find it but I moved the applications multiple times and I am 100% sure that pro tools and the amp sims are on the same hard drive.

Edit: I have read a few things that may indicate that Pro tools doesnt support ml soundlabs plug ins so if anyone can confirm this that would be helpful

Last edited:

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I'm not a pro tools user but I'm 95% sure Pro Tools doesn't use VST's so you have to make sure the Amp Sim you are using is running via an AAX file. Basically Avid's file version of Pro Tools. Also you'll want to check your settings to see where Pro Tools is reading/recognizing the plugins from. https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/find-missing-pro-tools-plugins/ Here's how to find the folder Pro Tools uses for plug ins. I hope this helps!

Alec Lewis

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Ok thanks for the info, I will most likely just switch to Reaper DAW that way I can cut out the extra step Im still new enough to both that it won't matter much to switch at this point the only reason I used Pro Tools is because my audio interface came with the license for it so I thought it'd be worth a shot.

Reactions: Donovan Etue

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Ok thanks for the info, I will most likely just switch to Reaper DAW that way I can cut out the extra step Im still new enough to both that it won't matter much to switch at this point the only reason I used Pro Tools is because my audio interface came with the license for it so I thought it'd be worth a shot.
    I've been using Reaper for over a year now and I agree with Ed, it is an awesome DAW to work with that is pretty damn powerful. As well as customizable. It's definitely worth checking out a few YouTube videos or to browse their forum to learn about the shortcuts hidden all around.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    @Ed Seith I was wondering if Adobe Audition is an option for recording guitar? I ask because I have to have Adobe creative for school anyway so I already have audition at my disposal including with the package that I use for school.
    You can, depending on what you’re going for. I use it for trimming my metal minute videos, but I don’t know that it could be considered a real DAW with audio plugins and such.

you’re better off downloading reaper and paying the $60 for it when you can afford it, assuming you like it. The demo version is not limited in any way.

Reactions: Alec Lewis