• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Proficiency/learning in different tunings

Sebastian Lane

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on getting proficient and learning new things on guitar in a different tuning other than standard tuning like Drop B, Drop C or another kind like Open D tuning?

I play major and minor pentatonic and major and minor scales in the lower tuning, you just have to play in different frets because the notes are different and the 6th string you bring up the notes up 2 frets because of the lower tuning. I want to get better at memorizing notes on fretboard, learning scale patterns, theory, and generally get more proficient in the lower tunings like Drop B or Drop C.

I like to play in Drop Tunings more as I like to play metal and hard rock as my main focus. I usually have things set up in Drop C or Drop B and sometimes Drop D.

I find that most theory/general guitar lessons out there all teach stuff in standard tuning which I find a bit hard as I don't want to have to switch tunings every time I'm practicing something new that the lesson is in. I was tuning between Drop B and Standard tuning most days I'd be playing and that wears the strings out a lot faster.

I now just practice the lesson stuff in the Drop Tuning without switching.

I know 1 solution is to get a 2nd guitar for additional tunings and such which I'll probably do later this year but right now I feel like I might be missing something or maybe over thinking it.

What are your thoughts?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I think learning the note order is more important than learning the fretboard. It’s more or less the same thing but fretboards change with different tunings.
First you need to realise it’s just the beginning of the alphabet, then remember where the sharps and flats are.
You still need to know where to find them in whatever tuning 🤷

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Sebastian Lane

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Syn records every solo or almost every solo in standard. Just remember the d and d string are the exact same pattern when dropped.
I didn't know he recorded most solos in standard. Wonder what he does for playing the solos live? Maybe just plays it in the guitar tuning that the rhythm guitar is tuned in.

And yeah I've played in a lot of Drop D tuning so remembering the the 6th and 4th string are the same note helps a lot.

Sebastian Lane

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
You only need to know the open string for that, for the rest it's following the alphabeth.

It worked for me at least.
I think for me being able to very quickly identify what note I'm playing when fretting a note so when I do improvisation or songwriting then I can be more efficient and precise with what I'm doing.

I already know the E standard tuning 6th and 5th and 1st string notes pretty well. But I'll have to spend time with note memorization in a tuning I want to focus on to get better at it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it.

Reactions: Lindsey

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    This is from Troy Statinas book

Attachments

• IMG_6258.JPG
      IMG_6258.JPG
      111.5 KB · Views: 114
    Reactions: Sebastian Lane

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    There's a trick in finding notes. The same note can be found two strings up and 2 frets to the right. It's like that with every string except for the B string. That's 3 frets to the right.
    I'm not good at explaining it, I'll send a picture
    That's true until you get to drop tunings and open tunings, also g string to high E string is 3 strings to the right too.

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I'm guessing that is from his Fretboard Mastery book. I have that one so I can review it again, thanks for sharing Yeah I remember the octave trick and the other trick is a note on 1 string is the same as the next string 7 frets up (exception with 2nd string of course)

No, it's from his metal lead guitarist book. The second one I guess but the other book must have it in it too

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I didn't know he recorded most solos in standard. Wonder what he does for playing the solos live? Maybe just plays it in the guitar tuning that the rhythm guitar is tuned in.

And yeah I've played in a lot of Drop D tuning so remembering the the 6th and 4th string are the same note helps a lot.
    Yeah it was mentioned last year? Id assume he just relearned them in rehearsal its only the bottom string that changes..how many of his solos really hit that string?

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    There's a trick in finding notes. The same note can be found two strings up and 2 frets to the right. It's like that with every string except for the B string. That's 3 frets to the right.
    I'm not good at explaining it, I'll send a picture
    You just need to go up 2 over 2.. equaling 12 frets. Obviouslyn the higher octave is one more to the right.

Reactions: Sebastian Lane

Sebastian Lane

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah it was mentioned last year? Id assume he just relearned them in rehearsal its only the bottom string that changes..how many of his solos really hit that string?
    Well they do change tunings in a bunch of songs so it's not the just the bottom string that changes for some songs. Most solos wouldn't use the 6th string much or at all but it's more of a matter of being able to play rhythm guitar for when there isn't any lead guitar parts.