• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Putting locking nuts on a non FR guitar

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
Has anyone had these put on a guitar that isn’t FR? I’m just curious cause it would be nice for me during some of my gigs. Especially for the songs where I time down a half step and my guitar goes out of time easier when it is. I have a Schecter Omen 6 string through body. I know this is VERY uncommon to do on a guitar like that but it would help keep it in tune right…?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Locking tuners would be better for what you’re trying to accomplish, and a lot cheaper.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABMP4TY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    The benefit of locking tuners is that without a lot of string wound around the post, there’s less to slip. Having a 1/2 to 3/4 of a wind on each tuning post is way better than 3,4 or 5. I’d try those first. I’ve put them on all of my guitars, even the ones with Floyds.

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Just to avoid me being confused, are you wondering about using a locking nut with a standard bridge, and only having one guitar that you retune during the gig? I don’t see that working well, ‘cuzza how inconvenient it would be to mess around with unlocking and locking shit on stage and probably dropping your hex key and spending the next five minutes trying to find it.

Hiroshi Nakauye

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I agree with Ed on the locking tuners. The hipshot ones are great, plus the kits usually come with a no drill adapter plate which works well. I have them on a guitar and they are really stable. One other thing you might want to look into is a product like big bend nut sauce. You use it to lubricate the nut and saddles which will help prevent hang ups when you down tune, for better tuning stability.