• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Putting Yourself Out There and Actually BEING A Musician

JakAngelescu

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Aug 12, 2022
Hey everyone! I'm really excited and I wanted to share with you guys some things I have going on in hopes of inspiring other people. I watched this video on youtube about handling criticism on the internet and it honestly changed my perspective on social media, posting on the internet and utilizing technology.

While my album is still being written, I've told myself I really want to play out. Sitting in my house all day and going to the studio isn't cutting it for me anymore. I actually had a really inspiring conversation with my dad a few nights ago and I'd like to share some of it with you all. I believe there are some lessons in here worth sharing.

For those of you who don't know, my dad and I have had an incredibly rough relationship. It was rocky, to say the very least. After I moved out, I had considered cutting him out completely of my life and not even telling him where I was going. Of course I didn't do that, and I'm glad I didn't because our relationship has gotten better since I left. But he asked me about my book (I've been working on a novel for a while now) and when it was going to get published. I told him that because it costs about $3,500 for an editor, my book is delayed as I'm still saving for it.
He told me, "Well, I'm retiring soon and while I can't pay the full amount, I sure would love to help you out with a good amount. I believe in your book a lot and I really want to see it get finished."

My heart about stopped. I actually began to cry because I was so moved to hear such a thing. If I would have cut him out of my life, that support would not have been there.

Now my dad is a musician too. He's who I learned guitar from. On that conversation, he spent an hour telling me stories about playing live when the drinking age was 18. He told me, "Listen. Get yourself out there. Get with a working band. I love that you're doing your album. But you owe it to yourself to feel what it's like to experience BEING a musician with those that can show you the ropes of the actual lifestyle. It doesn't matter if you go to a show and the only instrument is an accordion. You get your ass up there and you have fun with it. Being a musician is about being creative and creating with the tools you have."

That last statement hit me hard. Because my whole life as a musician, I wasn't enough for people. I either didn't have the right myspace account set up, didn't have a properly recorded demo, didn't have a car, the right gear to play "live", enough guitars, the best image.... I could go on. All of this has since weighed on my heart and has prevented me from truly stepping into the limelight.

After I hung up with him, my life was different. I began searching around online for working bands. I emailed people. I reached out. Now I have a meeting in late December with a well-known local tribute band that travels for work (and the money is pretty decent), I've had four people reach out to me for lessons locally, I'm gonna have a Valentine's day set list as a singer/acoustic player at my local favorite cafe (something I've wanted to do for years), and I have something INCREDIBLY HUGE that I'm working with someone on for next year. I can't say what it is yet, but Syn knows about it and I'm really crossing my fingers that it happens. If this happened, it truly would be a milestone of a dream in my life.

My point is, is that my dad wanted to invest in my book. Syn gifted me guitars. Papa sat with me for hours and gave me sagely advice. The students here once rallied and gifted me an AMAZING interface for Christmas to start my home studio. All it takes is for a few people to believe in you.

So if you don't have anyone that believes in you, I do.

And if you've wanted to get out there with your music but are afraid to, please don't. Post up a million times on Instagram/TikTok. Make your youtube channel. Go to open mic jams and audition for bands you find online, even if they're not in your state. Make it happen. If it's something you want, say "yes" and find a way to make it happen!

If you're interested in the video I watched, here it is. Maybe it'll help you too :)