• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Question about picking hand

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
So basically i've experimented with my picking hand a little bit and found that combined due to the distance between my fingers and the pick the fleshy part at the bottom of my thumb is touching the strings automatically. So I did a little searching about my technique and it keeps saying that it's bad and when you are in contact with your guitar while playing. So I compared it with a floating wrist which I can do fine at slow speeds but also when combined with the way I hold the pick means I have to angle my wrist in a weird way to actually reach the strings(I can only do it in slow speeds because it allows me to to come back down to the comfortable angle before I need to play the next note)

So my question is, do I have to go through the pain of completely changing my picking technique because of this or am I just fine?

It's something similar to what Guthrie govan explains here when he talks about muting the lower strings.

Last edited:

Bellah83

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Fort Worth Tx
So basically i've experimented with my picking hand a little bit and found that combined due to the distance between my fingers and the pick the fleshy part at the bottom of my thumb is touching the strings automatically. So I did a little searching about my technique and it keeps saying that it's bad and when you are in contact with your guitar while playing. So I compared it with a floating wrist which I can do fine at slow speeds but also when combined with the way I hold the pick means I have to angle my wrist in a weird way to actually reach the strings(I can only do it in slow speeds because it allows me to to come back down to the comfortable angle before I need to play the next note)

So my question is, do I have to go through the pain of completely changing my picking technique because of this or am I just fine?

It's something similar to what Guthrie govan explains here when he talks about muting the lower strings.
I'm sort of confused at the issue. Your thumb drags the string as you pick? Like if you were doing a pinch harmonic? Or are you worried about anchoring your picking hand against the guitar?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I'm sort of confused at the issue. Your thumb drags the string as you pick? Like if you were doing a pinch harmonic? Or are you worried about anchoring your picking hand against the guitar?
I'm not even sure tbh. It really moves along with the motion of my picking hand at all times. So I would say it drags alo g slightly, it doesn't push down or stay In place or anything. It may also just be string muting but not sure.

Bellah83

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Fort Worth Tx
I'm not even sure tbh. It really moves along with the motion of my picking hand at all times. So I would say it drags alo g slightly, it doesn't push down or stay In place or anything. It may also just be string muting but not sure.
It's might affect the brightness of notes if they're the ones your playing, but if not I wouldn't worry too much. My picking hand makes quite a bit of contact with the strings and guitar while I play. I'm not sure if it's a hinderance.
Is there a way you feel it's affecting your playing?

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
It's might affect the brightness of notes if they're the ones your playing, but if not I wouldn't worry too much. My picking hand makes quite a bit of contact with the strings and guitar while I play. I'm not sure if it's a hinderance.
Is there a way you feel it's affecting your playing?
Not really, its just that google got me doubting a little bit. All it really does is muting the strings lower than the ones I'm playing but I thought it may be anchoring so I googled anchoring and one person said that there's a check to know whether I anchor which is play with a floating wrist and if you can play with a floating wrist without trouble you don't anchor (I couldn't but that may be do to the way I havr to angle my wrist to do it). Another person said anchoring is necessary for muting and another person said it's anchoring when one finger is a constant pivot point if you will(stays at the same place the whole time) so judging I the last two I don't anchor because I don't mean on the guitar its just that that fleshy part js thicker than. The part of my pick that's still visible.

Thanks for your answrrs

Reactions: Bellah83
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I'd say if it feels comfortable to you, sounds good to you and doesn't cause you any problems/hindrances in your playing then it's correct for you. I've noticed that all of the best players tend to hold their picks slightly differently, most likely to adjust the technique that fits what they want to hear.
    Like Syn's weird claw hand position he used to use - If I try to play like that I play like a 5 year old! But for him it was a breeze. So I'd say it's completely subjective 🤟

Reactions: idssdi and Bellah83

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I think I know what you mean, and I do it a lot, too. It's only noticeable if I play a mid-tempo lead with low gain, but the edge of my thumb mutes the string I just picked a lot. It's mostly because I choke up on the pick so much, but also my attack angle. Playing with the Cutlass on lower gain settings has reminded me I have to work on it.

Reactions: idssdi