• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Question about the circle of fifths

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Argentina
hey guys i have a question of the circle of fifths, the order in that scales appear (C-G-D-A-E-B-F#-C#) are the order of closer tonalities? i don't how it's called in english sorry but i think it's something that has to be with modulations and with shared chords between tonalities. can someone explain to me that? i have a test tomorrow on university of music theory :( wish me luck haha

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry if I have misunderstood your question but the order is right there in the name, 5ths.
Starting with C major (C D E F G A B C), we move up to the 5th to find the starting note of the next, in this case G (G A B C D E F# G), then, again we move up to the 5th of this new scale to find the starting note of the next, D (D E F# G A B C# D). Rinse and repeat.

You will notice that we sharpen the 7th of each new scale, carrying that sharpened note into each subsequent scale. I use this mnemonic to remember the order of sharps 'Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle', which can be reversed for the order of flats, 'Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles Father'.

Reactions: Ezequiel Romanko