• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Question About Tuning Guitars With Floating Bridges

J

Jak Angelescu

Okay, so if you guys haven’t checked out Captain Ed’s guitar rundown, you NEED to. I don’t look at any of my guitars the same. And it inspired me to really try to get to know what these fancy nerd terms mean. I learned a LOT about guitars. So if you haven’t seen his rundown (which also please try to push this guy to actually do a regular guitar upload, he’s too smart not to) I seriously STRONGLY suggest you watch it. Link’s here…

Also, I had a hard time bringing this to the forum because I didn’t want Syn to see it and think “Ah shit her guitar’s fucking up” because I didn’t know what was wrong. I have to keep this guitar in a cooler part of the house because I don’t have a case for it, and I bring it into a room to play that’s about 5-6 degrees warmer. I just don’t want it left in my room where other people can easily grab it so I hide it away in the box. Basically, my Black Moon guitar would NOT stay in tune. It was so difficult to tune, that I kept it unlocked because I was having to fidget with the small tuners so much that they would get almost all the way up or all the way down because as soon as I locked it, it was SO out of tune. It seemed to be lead up to new strings because after about a few days of stretching, it locked fine.
Then I noticed it again. But I didn’t have it locked. BUT I had the whammy bar in. My tuner was saying it was in tune, but right after I’d tune it the tuner would say everything was too sharp again. It lead to about a 20 minute tuning session. Finally my singer said, “Do you think it’s because the whammy bar is in it but it’s not locked down?” Sure enough, I took the whammy bar out and unlocked it stayed in tune really well. Locking it down, fine-tuning it and THEN putting the whammy bar it. Pure gold. Flawless tuning. Just like how it arrived.
So I have a few questions. Are there any proper protocols for tuning a floating bridge guitar? Because I had the same issues with my ESP Horizon II. Could my battery in my tuner need to be changed?
Thanks guys!