• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Question on Axe-fx amps

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I just was looking into a pedal which supposedly emulates the sound of a Dumble amplifier. So I did some research on Dumble amplifiers and they are basically ridiculously expensive boutique amps which people like John Mayer, Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan and many others use and since I love their tone a lot I’d like to get that pedal. Now I’m wondering for when I finally have enough money saved up for an Axe-fx, is something like a Dumble amplifier available in The Axe-fx?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I’m on vacation! I don’t usually access the site from my phone. So from up here on the Oregon coast (by the way, California is FUCKING MASSIVELY HUGE), I can tell you there are Dumble models in the AxeFX. I will have to play with them when I get home, but I think we all already know they’re probably quite good!

Gabriel Corso

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Ed is the master !!
    Couldn’t agree more.
    @ids I even believe that John Mayer himself used an axe fx in a concert not long ago.
    https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.musicradar.com/amp/news/john-mayer-upsets-the-gear-apple-cart-once-more-as-he-uses-axe-fx-live
    I mean, i think he was invited to play with someone this time.
    It is easier to take an axe fx then the full Dumble set up haha.
    But I am very interested to know about these kinds of sounds, and if the axe can make it.
    Because we all know that it is a great platform.

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yes, there are a few Dumbles and Dumble clones. Idk if you know this, but there are a few boutique amp makers who produce ONLY copies of Dumble amps. The main amp that alexander dumble made was the Overdrive Special, but he made little tweaks and modifications to lots of those Dumble amps. Another famous Dumble amp was the Steel String Singer, which is what Stevie Ray Vaughan used as well as John Mayer which was a VERY LOUD, but pretty clean amp. I know one guy made a tutorial on how to emulate the SSS with an Ampeg model that sounds really good.
    But to answer your question, there are a BUNCH of Dumble type amp models. There is the actually Dumble Overdrive Special, there is a mode of Robben Fords personal Dumble ODS-100, there is a model of the Bludotone Ojai which is a copy of Robben Ford’s Dumble. Fuchs makes the Overdrive Supreme, two rock makes Dumble clones. The BEST Dumble style amp, which is even better than a Dumble in many people’s opinions, is the Carol-Ann Tucana. All the Carol-Ann stuff is similar to the Dumble amps, but they’re all a little different. Dumble only made somewhere around 300 amps and he voiced them differently for each customer.
    Here is an older list and explanations of many of the fractal models. The list is a little different now, but this is basically it.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fvjvrqnryihp86/Yeks_Guide_to_the_Fractal_Audio_Amp_Models.pdf

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Ed and Cristopher – Thanks guys! Just to make me feel sorry about my lack of funds a bit more, could one of you make like a demo of some kind to show what they sound like? I’m Especially interested in the one SRV and John Mayer used to use(If they even have an amp like that)
    Gabriel – yeah I saw that too! I think at the moment John uses his custom PRS amp and not his dumble
    I’m kinda in a tone chasing mood but since I lack the funds to actually buy the gear I’m just doing research😅