• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Question on Modes

Zesty Rage

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    So I recently picked up a book that goes over using modes and scales to make your own runs and shred and all that fun stuff. I got through a decent chunk of the first lesson. In the first lesson they use the G Ionian mode to practice with. My question is that if Ionian is just the mode and G is just the key could I use that mode pattern on a different key and get something like B Ionian? I think I’m starting to understand the patterns more but I struggle with the music theory.

Reactions: William B.

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    So I recently picked up a book that goes over using modes and scales to make your own runs and shred and all that fun stuff. I got through a decent chunk of the first lesson. In the first lesson they use the G Ionian mode to practice with. My question is that if Ionian is just the mode and G is just the key could I use that mode pattern on a different key and get something like B Ionian? I think I’m starting to understand the patterns more but I struggle with the music theory.
    Yes, you can. Maybe you gave to change a note to fit the scale

Reactions: William B.

juiceellish

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    100% correct. That’s how you get modulations, in other words, key changes. There’s also 6 more mode patterns within the Ionian pattern. Using G Ionian (Major), you can get A Dorian, B Phrygian, C Lydian, D Mixolydian, E Aeolian (Minor), and F# Locrian. All of these exist ONLY in the G Major scale family. When you move the Major scale pattern, in essence, you move the other 6 modes along with it. Neat, right? Have fun!

OskarF

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    What made modes click for me was when i realized that there is ONLY ONE scale you need to learn, which is the 7 note heptatonic scale. You can move it around the neck to change key, but the intervals are the exact same. And also the context you play it in (over what chords you play) changes the mode.

So if you just focus on learning to play in one single key, and learn the pattern across the whole neck, you'll start to build a "map" of notes that is made up of scales and chords and different licks etc. Once you are very comfortable with it you can start moving it around and you will eventually stop being tied to watching the frets or specific locations on the neck for guidance but instead see a big a pattern of intervals that you can move around freely to change key or mode.

Learning the CAGED system is super useful to understand this.

Last edited:

JakAngelescu

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Aug 12, 2022
    I love the fact you wrote this up! But, is it really heptatonic when talking about modes? I know that heptatonic means that there are 7 notes in the scale between each octave, but DIATONIC scale is the actual formula of the whole step/half step combo that gives it its modal sound. And my friend i totally agree and learning the CAGED system!!

• Love
    Reactions: Chris Johnston
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

OskarF

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I love the fact you wrote this up! But, is it really heptatonic when talking about modes? I know that heptatonic means that there are 7 notes in the scale between each octave, but DIATONIC scale is the actual formula of the whole step/half step combo that gives it its modal sound. And my friend i totally agree and learning the CAGED system!!
    Yeah sorry, i'm not well versed in the actual language of music theory so i had to look up "heptatonic" hahah,. But i believe diatonic is the correct term to describe what i'm talking about, as heptatonic scales include harmonic and melodic minor as well, and other things im unaware of probably!

• Love
    Reactions: JakAngelescu

JakAngelescu

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Aug 12, 2022
    Yeah sorry, i'm not well versed in the actual language of music theory so i had to look up "heptatonic" hahah,. But i believe diatonic is the correct term to describe what i'm talking about, as heptatonic scales include harmonic and melodic minor as well, and other things im unaware of probably!
    Hey that's OK! I think it's awesome that you even looked it up, and I love thy fact you said "language of music theory" because that's what it is!

Reactions: OskarF

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Wondered about this myself and just found this definition on Wikipedia 😂

'In music theory, a diatonic scale is any heptatonic scale that includes five whole steps (whole tones) and two half steps (semitones) in each octave, in which the two half steps are separated from each other by either two or three whole steps, depending on their position in the scale. This pattern ensures that, in a diatonic scale spanning more than one octave, all the half steps are maximally separated from each other (i.e. separated by at least two whole steps).'