• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Question on soloing

The Raven

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey guys. So I've been trying to better my soloing lately with a lot of Metallica songs. But what keeps throwing me off is technique wise, how do you skip between 2 strings rapidly? For example here I took the tabs I'm referencing for "Wherever I may roam". The highlighted portion. (about 4:50 into the song) demonstrates what's throwing me off. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to place my fingers on the fretboard to be able to play this portion. Nor can I figure out the picking technique used here.

If anyone would be so kind as to show me how you would play this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

image_2022-08-19_212309288.png

Reactions: William B.

OskarF

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
How i would play it is with pinky on 19th, index on 16th on the E string and middle on 17th on the B string.

And as William said it's economy picking so you would reapeat this pattern of picking: up - pull off - up - down - down

So contrary to alternate picking you would switch strings with two consecutive up strokes or down strokes, which is also called sweep picking when done in succession.

Reactions: William B.
Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    How i would play it is with pinky on 19th, index on 16th on the E string and middle on 17th on the B string.

And as William said it's economy picking so you would reapeat this pattern of picking: up - pull off - up - down - down

So contrary to alternate picking you would switch strings with two consecutive up strokes or down strokes, which is also called sweep picking when done in succession.
    Yes
    I haven't tried it but from the looks of the tab, pull off from 19 to 16 and hit the B string like how you said it, although maybe the pulled off note is also picked.

The first note might start on a down stroke cause the first note of the bar.

I have trouble understand/reading the timing of the notes without audio playback, it has the classical notes on the top with it

Upvote 0