• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Quitting Spotify/Album recommendations/

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I've kind of been feeling the same way man. I go through periods where I find myself listening to the same group of 40 or so songs and I tend to skip past anything that isn't in that group of songs. When I notice I'm doing this and I'm tired of it I'll force myself to shake it up a bit. Listen to a different genre or artist. Pretty much the same thing I do when I feel like I'm in a rut on guitar. Find something that challenges my current taste and go play/listen to it and try to find something I like. I was playing a lot of Gojira/Metallica/Avenged riffs over and over and I wanted to play something else. I ended up picking out the main lick/melody/riff/whatever it is to Snow (Hey Oh) by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It forced me to do something new and play in a way I hadn't done before.

When it comes to new music I rarely go searching for it. The way I've weirdly been listening to more new (to me) music has been through my "collecting" of concert videos. I have absolutely garbage internet for 75% of the month. Due to that, when my connection is decent I'll think up a name of a band, see if there is a full concert video on youtube that's properly recorded, and use a youtube video downloader to download it and add it to my collection. I'm currently up to about 120 concerts/126gb's in my concert folder. A few individual songs are in there since the original full concert is either not uploaded, hidden behind PPV, or I just can't find it. That's been helping me discover different songs in my favorite bands catalogs, as well as new bands in general. I downloaded Volbeat's show at Wacken 2012 a week or so ago and I've been thoroughly impressed! I had a song or two on my playlist before but I'm about ready to dig more into their catalog since the live show was so good. This introduces me to their hits as well as some of their deeper cuts and their "filler" material in a live setting.

I don't regularly listen to full albums but I do have a few that I have listened to from front to back that I'd absolutely recommend.
    Allen Stone's debut/self titled album Allen Stone is an awesome album. He's got a similar vibe and a similar voice to Stevie Wonder. Absolutely friendly fellow. mom's side of the family knows his family pretty well.

Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage. The second album I ever listened to from front to back after A7X's Nightmare album. L'fant Sauvage is what got me into heavier music.

Lamb of God - Sacrament. The third full album I listened to. Packed full of groove, hard hitting riffs, awesome catchy chorus's that get the crowd screaming out, and some of Chris Adler's best drum work to date. I've learned a lot of the riffs off of this album and god are they so fun to play.

Mark Morton - Anesthetic. Mark Morton is the lead guitarist for Lamb of God and his solo stuff kicks ass too! Ranging from southern hard rock tunes to LoG'ish tunes as well. The album is packed full of awesome vocalists. Chester Bennington from Linkin Park, Chuck Billy of Testament, Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge, Randy Blythe from LoG, and Alissa Whie-Gluz from Arch Enemy are all on the album.

Mark Morton - Ether EP. Mark's acoustic EP is great! Featuring Mark Morales, John Carbone, Howard Jones from Killswitch Engage, and Lzzy Hale from Halestorm. Lzzy and Marks cover of the Black Crowes song She Talks to Angels is fucking incredible!

For bonus albums I'd recommend Katatonia - Sanctitude. It's a live acoustic (with some light electric guitar work) album that's got a real somber feel to it.
    Beartooth - Disease. A hardcore/metalcore crossover with really goddamn catchy chorus's.

Sorry for rambling on and on. I didn't initially intend for this comment to be this damn long haha.

I never thought about live videos before, that's actually a great way to discover new bands/tunes.

I'll definitely add those albums to my list! Haha don't worry man, I have a habit of writing accidental essays on here 😂

Reactions: Donovan Etue

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Maybe search for bands, genres or known songs from that time period.
    I prefer YT cause there's not just only music there.
    Often I'll listen to mixtapes of whatever, mostly non guitar stuff cause I play guitar.
    Sometimes there's some stuff I enjoy over others and I'll listen to them for a few days straight and forget to add them to my playlist.

Music is in abundance maybe it's hard to take the time to connect, MTV, Radio, The Box.
    Having to wait to hear my favorite song, or choosing which CD/tape to buy.
    Sharing music with friends keeps each other on the same page too I guess.
    I feel like watching Wayne's World

I recommend Four Years Strong
    Thanks for the insight man! I definitely need to check out more Four Years Strong stuff.

You're totally spot on with the social aspect of getting into a tune aswell. I'll keep that in mind 😊

Thanks man!

Reactions: William B.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I love buying CDs and still do fairly regularly.

As far as recommendations go
    Any of the Beatles albums from rubber soul up to the white album(I'm being too lazy to write them all out 😅)
    John Mayer - Born And Raised
    Daft Punk - Alive 2007
    Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
    Moby - Play
    Leon Bridges - coming Home
    Prince & the Revolution - Purple Rain
    Joscho Stephan - Guitar Heroes
    Slash - apocalyptic Love
    Shawn Mendes - wonder(no joke, I seriously love that album😅)
    Marty Friedman - Scenes
    Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power
    Symphony x - The Odyssey
    Cacophony - Speed Metal Symphony
    Ghost - Ceremony & Devotion
    Vivaldi - Four Seasons

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I never thought about live videos before, that's actually a great way to discover new bands/tunes.

I'll definitely add those albums to my list! Haha don't worry man, I have a habit of writing accidental essays on here 😂
    They really are! With me only starting to listen to music more "seriously" or frequently in the last five years, I've got a lot of bands to catch up on haha. With that, hearing about *insert hall of fame tier band* being awesome live makes me want to check out their work. But I'm never sure where to start. Finding one of their best/famous performances where they've got the crowd singing along to their favorites helps me find out where to start, and where to go from here. A few bands that I've gotten a bit more into since watching their live shows being, Nine Inch Nails Woodstock 94 performance as well as the Vevo show from 2011? Powertrip's Bloodstock 2018 performance. Rancid's 2017 Lollapalooza performance. That's one album very much worth checking out, Rancid - And Out Comes the Wolves. Ozzy Osbourne Live and Loud 1993. As well as ELO's Live at Wembley Stadium DVD from 2017. All are great performances that made me want to check out more of the bands work. I've got a bunch more I could tell but then I'd be here for a while longer haha. But yeah, if there's an artist/band that you have heard about and are curious about checking out, look for a pro recorded concert of theirs. The crowd ups the energy a ton as you'd guess and when the band is on fire, the music sounds even better.

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    I understand you and sometimes have the same. Miss the time that you bought an album and listened to it while enjoying the album lyrics and photos and get a feeling. Now its just so easy (and I really like that too). I see myself bying an LP player once and listen to albums.

For now heres my list :)

Tool - Lateralus (or 10.000 days or Aenima), imo an amzing band, so different
    Gojira- Magma
    Metallia- And Justice for all
    In Flames - Clayman
    Parkway Drive - Reverence or Ire
    Deftones - Around the fur
    Devin Twnsend Project - Epicloud
    Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Muse - Absolution (or Origin of Symmetry or Black holes and revelations)
    Radiohead - Ok Computer

Reactions: LOde
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

RubyVaughan

New Student
    Feb 1, 2023
    Dublin
    It's great that you want to reconnect with your emotional attachment and appreciation for music by limiting yourself to a few monthly albums and buying physical CDs. It's definitely a different experience compared to streaming music on Spotify. As for album recommendations, it depends on your personal taste, but some of my favorites are Fleetwood Mac's "Vault," Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours," AC/DC's "Back in Black," Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and Michael Jackson's "Thriller." Also, if you want to promote your music and build an audience, buy spotify plays that will help you increase your fan base. I wish you good luck, and have a good day.

Last edited: