• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Rebuilding old skills?

Meezy Chaos

Free Bird Player
Apr 8, 2022
Cincinnati
So I've played guitar for a little over a year and a half but for the past month I've been really sick and haven't been able to do anything. As I've been recovering I've just gotten to the point of being able to pick up my guitar again and I noticed I'm having a hardtime playing things I used to be able to play perfectly and I found that if I stick with the same riff for a bit then switch to one I used to be able to play, I can play it like I never took a break from guitar. What are some ways you guys practice after taking a break for a while?

Reactions: William B.

Al7eX

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Apr 16, 2022
So what I usually do is play a riff that you could never forget even if you tried, mess around with it. Then start adding a few things that you are trying to get back to make it slightly harder, don’t push it too hard though then it will just become you playing stuff you can’t play. Keep doing this and you should be able to get it back. Think of it like your warming up just for a while. This is what works for me it may or may not work the same for you. Hope it helps. 🙂

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    So, here, the muscle memory is there, but the dexterity (speed and accuracy) is out of practice. Start with some warm-up exercises and then work into the bits you know how to play, only do it slower until it's fully under your fingers again.

Meezy Chaos

Free Bird Player
    Apr 8, 2022
    Cincinnati
    So what I usually do is play a riff that you could never forget even if you tried, mess around with it. Then start adding a few things that you are trying to get back to make it slightly harder, don’t push it too hard though then it will just become you playing stuff you can’t play. Keep doing this and you should be able to get it back. Think of it like your warming up just for a while. This is what works for me it may or may not work the same for you. Hope it helps. 🙂
    So i forgot i posted this haha but this is kinda what I've started to do. It seemed to work for me and I ended up progressing further than I was before I was sick. Still working on remembering how to read sheet music but it's slowly coming back

Upvote 0