• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Record label offer

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    A record label from new York wants to offer me a deal. I'm pretty new to this so I was wondering whether anyone has some tips on what to look out for ?
    Read the contract or have it read by an attorney. Look at the background of the label. Who do they have, what do they do.

Most importantly, when you talk to them, look out for what they can do FOR you. What more do they bring to the table that you can't do. Keep in mind that they are a business and ultimately what they want is to make money. They will care about you only as long as they see potential from you.

Get to know them, to know how they operate. Ask question and learn also about the business side of the industry to learn some wordings so you can be better prepared.

Something to look out for: I would personally advise not to sign any contract where you would give up your masters, which is what a lot of the labels have been doing for years. By giving up your masters you basically give up ownership of your recordings (not songwriting, that's something else)

If they offer money up front (rare nowdays) beware that it's not free money but a loan. You will have to pay it back. Either your album or project is successful and it pays for itself OR if your project fails commercially, you will have to pay from your own pocket.

There is a lot more to say about this that can't be summoned in a text but this is what came to my mind. Another thing I would add is that labels aren't what they used to. Anyone can start their own little label and go around sharing logos and shit when they aren't anything. Hell, technically, I am the owner of my own label. That doesn't mean much. And so that's why it's important to make you research to see who you are dealing with because anyone in new york can just suddenly start a label and present themselves as a ''new york label'' even though all they represent is a couple mumble rappers who can't rhyme to save their lives.

Good luck and I wish you the best :)

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Read the contract or have it read by an attorney. Look at the background of the label. Who do they have, what do they do.

Most importantly, when you talk to them, look out for what they can do FOR you. What more do they bring to the table that you can't do. Keep in mind that they are a business and ultimately what they want is to make money. They will care about you only as long as they see potential from you.

Get to know them, to know how they operate. Ask question and learn also about the business side of the industry to learn some wordings so you can be better prepared.

Something to look out for: I would personally advise not to sign any contract where you would give up your masters, which is what a lot of the labels have been doing for years. By giving up your masters you basically give up ownership of your recordings (not songwriting, that's something else)

If they offer money up front (rare nowdays) beware that it's not free money but a loan. You will have to pay it back. Either your album or project is successful and it pays for itself OR if your project fails commercially, you will have to pay from your own pocket.

There is a lot more to say about this that can't be summoned in a text but this is what came to my mind. Another thing I would add is that labels aren't what they used to. Anyone can start their own little label and go around sharing logos and shit when they aren't anything. Hell, technically, I am the owner of my own label. That doesn't mean much. And so that's why it's important to make you research to see who you are dealing with because anyone in new york can just suddenly start a label and present themselves as a ''new york label'' even though all they represent is a couple mumble rappers who can't rhyme to save their lives.

Good luck and I wish you the best :)
    Thank you Radu, that's some good advice !

Reactions: Rad Synner
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Labels are obsolete these days. You'll never get a good deal. Distro kid all the way. Websites like that give you freedom. If it was a major.label itd be different. Plus if I were you id rather something local and in my currency.
    Distrokid is a distribution service, a record label does a whole lot more than just that. Some record labels even use distrokid to distribute music so saying record labels are obsolete because sites like distrokid is false. If you have the know how about mixing and mastering and have the financial means to do good promo than yes you don't need a record label. A record label also can get you on the radio, ik playlists etc. Furthermore, I record label does pr, your support. Basically a big part of the business side of doing music that if you use distrokid you have to fix by yourself.

Besides, I don't even know what kind of deal they are offering me and the details of it. All I know is I have full creative freedom and I keep the masters so it's a bit too soon to say they won't offer me a good deal anyway.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Distrokid is a distribution service, a record label does a whole lot more than just that. Some record labels even use distrokid to distribute music so saying record labels are obsolete because sites like distrokid is false. If you have the know how about mixing and mastering and have the financial means to do good promo than yes you don't need a record label. A record label also can get you on the radio, ik playlists etc. Furthermore, I record label does pr, your support. Basically a big part of the business side of doing music that if you use distrokid you have to fix by yourself.

Besides, I don't even know what kind of deal they are offering me and the details of it. All I know is I have full creative freedom and I keep the masters so it's a bit too soon to say they won't offer me a good deal anyway.
    I can back this up in that If you wanted to make a living out of any creative Profession you will have to live with the fact that the Business Side and all that comes with it (Like finances, Marketing, Promotion...) will be at least 50% of your Job - unless you get somebody else to do it. In the music Business this can be a record label

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019

If you want mainstream success yeah i agree the label can help. But like Radu said.. lots of risks. And with people learning mixing and mastering easier these days. (Much easier to learn and many people do it themselves now). I highly doubt many will want to start off with the loan that puts them in a hole if they aren't successful. I honestly think you can do everything without a label these days. Distrokid definitely shows up on my songs as the label. (Distrokid repords) they definitely are much more the just distribution.

If you wanna get there fast I suppose a label can help. But unless I see a deal too good to be true I'm not gonna bother waiting for a label myself.