• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Recording, Tech and mixing tips

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hey guys, its been a while!

Over the past 7 months I have been working my absolute ass off at university which gave me not free time but it has given me the chance to gain a good understanding of a lot of mixing, music gear and live sound (venue design etc).

I thought it would be nice to give back to the community and share some of my knowledge. I have a good idea of what I want to teach but I really just wanted to get an idea of what you guys would be interested in learning about.

I mainly use protools for my DAW and I run mac but I can teach windows too. Analogue gear wise I am most confident on SSL desks (AWS series and Dualities) but I am more than happy to help out with other desks.

Any and all feedback/ideas are very much appreciated. Dont be scared to ask anything!

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    If I were you, I'd check in with @Radu-Cristian Perde and see if you can make sure you cover different things. As Calvin said, he gave a great overview just a couple weeks ago and maybe this would be an opportunity to do something that hits a tighter focus, but since the general subject is similar it would be good for you two to link up.

Welcome back Dan!

• Love
    Reactions: Rad Synner

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    After thinking hard about the things I would want to aim for when teaching. The main things were to do with delving into the recording side of things.

Admittedly this is not as widely focused as mixing but it is useful when trying to get good source material.

Personally I have always been a bit of a Terence Fletcher when it comes to music, wherein, you want a really good performance that doesn't need to be fixed a hell of a lot.

As a result I plan to cover areas such as miking various instruments as well as stereo pairs, the theory behind mics and why to choose certain types for certain situations as well as subjects such as phase reversal in addition to some mixng techniques such as parallel compression.

If the science side of things interests you then it may be up your street