• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Replacing Syn Custom control cavity cover?

Jason Dunbar

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 18, 2021
    Seattle
    Hey everyone, total shot in the dark here but maybe someone has encountered the same issue.

I got the autographed Red Rum guitar a few months ago (absolutely love it) and just noticed the signature on the control cavity cover started to smudge a tiny bit. I'm scared to spray any clear coat in case it ruins the sharpie, so I figure I should just swap out the cavity control cover. Problem is, it looks like Schecter doesn't sell replacement parts and I can't find one anywhere else. Has anyone had any luck finding control cavity covers for Syn Customs? Or should I just find a shop to make a new plate? Thanks!

Reactions: Rad Synner

Awex Came

Campfire Attention Holder
    Legend
    May 23, 2021
    Schecter will send you one if you ask them. Might charge, might not. I contacted them years ago when I got the Purple & Green Syn guitar and they said they would send me an autographed backplate, but it turned out they were out of the autographed ones. Hit them up and let them know

Reactions: Rad Synner

Jason Dunbar

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 18, 2021
    Seattle
    Schecter will send you one if you ask them. Might charge, might not. I contacted them years ago when I got the Purple & Green Syn guitar and they said they would send me an autographed backplate, but it turned out they were out of the autographed ones. Hit them up and let them know
    Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll give that a shot then. Would've loved to keep the autographed plate on the guitar, but I'd rather keep the signature intact :).

Reactions: Awex Came

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Your experience differs from mine then. I bought a Synyster Custom-S from James Brown back in October. He was kind of enough to sign the control cavity cover since I asked. I wanted to coat the CCC so the autograph wouldn't rub away as well as a replacement to put on the guitar so I couldn't damage the autographed one. I reached out to Schecter's tech support by email twice and got no responses. I ended up going to a local guitar shop that is an authorized dealer and even they for some reason couldn't get Schecter to send out a replacement control cavity cover. Ended up having one custom made by a company in Florida that took a while since the pandemic was making it hard for them to get materials from the sounds of things I guess.

Jason Dunbar

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 18, 2021
    Seattle
    Your experience differs from mine then. I bought a Synyster Custom-S from James Brown back in October. He was kind of enough to sign the control cavity cover since I asked. I wanted to coat the CCC so the autograph wouldn't rub away as well as a replacement to put on the guitar so I couldn't damage the autographed one. I reached out to Schecter's tech support by email twice and got no responses. I ended up going to a local guitar shop that is an authorized dealer and even they for some reason couldn't get Schecter to send out a replacement control cavity cover. Ended up having one custom made by a company in Florida that took a while since the pandemic was making it hard for them to get materials from the sounds of things I guess.
    I had the same experience when I went to Guitar Center. The tech there said Schecter was really slow through email, and that they wouldn’t send a replacement to GC. Hoping I’ll have better luck, seems like a pretty simple request!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    That's insane, how much did it cost to have one made? I know Schecter, like most businesses, got rocked by the pandemic so I'm sure that plays a part. I also reached out to their techs directly and they got back to me within the same day (during the pandemic). Also, keep in mind that the purple & green Syn came out in like 2013-2014ish or something, so that part was a while ago. But they're the only ones that can provide that kind of stuff, so they should be willing. I'm sure they've had a parts shortage as well, since I'm sure most parts like that come from China.

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    That's insane, how much did it cost to have one made? I know Schecter, like most businesses, got rocked by the pandemic so I'm sure that plays a part. I also reached out to their techs directly and they got back to me within the same day (during the pandemic). Also, keep in mind that the purple & green Syn came out in like 2013-2014ish or something, so that part was a while ago. But they're the only ones that can provide that kind of stuff, so they should be willing. I'm sure they've had a parts shortage as well, since I'm sure most parts like that come from China.
    I can't remember how much it ended up costing as my uncle ended up covering the bill as my Christmas gift for this year, along with a string change and setup. I tried finding the second email I sent but I can't seem to find it. I want to say I sent the first email, waited 7-8 days, didn't get a response, sent another email, and I've yet to get a response. I sent those starting on Nov 11th haha. Going through my messages with the shop I forgot I was getting my CCC made during the holiday season so I didn't get it for over a month as well thanks to the pandemic, fedex being slow as hell, and them just taking a while haha. I took the guitar in on Dec 8th and received it Jan 15th.

Jason Dunbar

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 18, 2021
    Seattle
    Hey everyone, total shot in the dark here but maybe someone has encountered the same issue.

I got the autographed Red Rum guitar a few months ago (absolutely love it) and just noticed the signature on the control cavity cover started to smudge a tiny bit. I'm scared to spray any clear coat in case it ruins the sharpie, so I figure I should just swap out the cavity control cover. Problem is, it looks like Schecter doesn't sell replacement parts and I can't find one anywhere else. Has anyone had any luck finding control cavity covers for Syn Customs? Or should I just find a shop to make a new plate? Thanks!
    Update: I was able to get a replacement from Schecter! Email didn’t work, but just had to call and they sent one right over. Now I can play that guitar again without worrying about the signature 😁

Reactions: Donovan Etue

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Update: I was able to get a replacement from Schecter! Email didn’t work, but just had to call and they sent one right over. Now I can play that guitar again without worrying about the signature 😁
    Seriously?! That's great to hear! I wonder why they refused to work with the shop I took my guitar into. They're an authorized dealer! Anyway, glad to hear you're now able to play the guitar no issues worrying about the signature!