• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Reverse Bend Tips

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hi, I've been working on this technique here and there, I like how it sounds.

The trouble I'm having is when having a pre-bent 7th fretted note with my annular finger and want to drop the bend down releasing it to the 5th fret.
    Hopefully I explained it right.
    When I'm doing it often the sound isn't smooth or it dissipates.
    I may also be misinterpreting the written notations when I see them.

I want to try to be able to do it multiple times in succession but I think I'm doing something wrong.

A video would probably help show the dilemma, tomorrow I'll get one-up.

Thanks! :rock-hand:

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    So you're fretting the note at the 5th fret, but bent up a whole step to the equivalent of the 7th fret note (for example, bending an A up to a B), picking it, and then having an issue releasing the bend smoothly to get back to the A note?
    Something like that, but yes releasing it smoothly is giving me a hard time. Releasing it after dropping the pre-bend.
    I'll demonstrate it later today I don't think I'm explaining it right

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    It looks like you're needing to do a pull-off, but that's a stylistic choice, and a pull-off is not MANDATORY for that kind of thing - you can pick that last note OR do a pull-off.

Now, a pull-off is not just lifting the finger off. That finger has to tug the string a little bit and almost "snap" off the string to make the note at the 5th fret ring out. There should be a lesson specifically about pull-offs where PG explains it in detail.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Låww

Garage band Groupie
    Mar 22, 2022
    Little late reply and maybe you've already figured it out, but what works for me is a pull-off immediately after releasing the bend. Also when doing such bends I get better results by not having my index finger bar the rest of the strings. Instead I tend to have my thumb firmly behind the neck and bend the string with my ring finger while my middle finger supports it to get a good whole step bend. In order to mute the low E and A strings I use my right hand instead while my index finger mutes the D string, which might help a bit too. Anyhow hope this helps!

Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Little late reply and maybe you've already figured it out, but what works for me is a pull-off immediately after releasing the bend. Also when doing such bends I get better results by not having my index finger bar the rest of the strings. Instead I tend to have my thumb firmly behind the neck and bend the string with my ring finger while my middle finger supports it to get a good whole step bend. In order to mute the low E and A strings I use my right hand instead while my index finger mutes the D string, which might help a bit too. Anyhow hope this helps!
    Still working on it here and there.
    I'll need to read it a few times and give it a try next time.
    Thanks!

Reactions: Låww
    Upvote 0