• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Rick beato never disappoints.

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    I tried to watch some of Rick's basics of music theory and dude, that wasn't basic at all! Hahaha I'll watch this one, but honestly, my main reference is Papa Gates' lessons. I have a pdf of a music theory book that I started reading and I was actually enjoying it, but it got so many concepts, it got so complicated, that I just dropped it off.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Papa gates does a great job making complicated sound simple. It's a big reason theory was easy. I highly suggest getting through pgs lessons and atleast getting to caged before looking at Rick's stuff. Once you understand theory it all makes sense at once. But it takes some time to connect all the dots.

Reactions: redlipsofdeceit

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Papa gates does a great job making complicated sound simple. It's a big reason theory was easy. I highly suggest getting through pgs lessons and atleast getting to caged before looking at Rick's stuff. Once you understand theory it all makes sense at once. But it takes some time to connect all the dots.
    Yeah. I usually watch the lessons over and over, 'cause I wanna understand everything. Some things still get me a little bit confused, but sometimes I just have that insight, you know. And all makes sense. Hahahaha

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I tried to watch some of Rick's basics of music theory and dude, that wasn't basic at all! Hahaha I'll watch this one, but honestly, my main reference is Papa Gates' lessons. I have a pdf of a music theory book that I started reading and I was actually enjoying it, but it got so many concepts, it got so complicated, that I just dropped it off.
    It's not you. A lot of people have complained that Rick's "music theory basics" are not really aimed at people who are completely new to theory. I gave up on one of his videos like that. It just went in way too many directions way too quickly to follow. I'll watch this one and hope it's better.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    This one covers simple major scale subs. It's page 1 in his book so literally.the beginning. I believe pg goes over most of this too. But Rick's goal in the end is to help you identify chords. Ala major vs minor vs diminished. Here he shows you then note sub for each scale. Pg doesn't show you the scale or notes the same way in his video. Rick assumes you already know major scale too. He's definitely more advanced in that way.

With that said.. it won't make much sense until the basic theory is down. Ala all the beginner lessons and some of the intermediate ones too. But hes basically just building chords and mode phrases using these substitutions.

Ala you flat the 3rd to get a minor sound. And so forth. If it was me I'd take a week on every substitution work on how it different from your normal major scale. Its exactly where I wanna be right now extending off the usual major scale.for chord progressions.

Synner Endless Summer Collection