• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Roadie Job?

The Spectre

New Student
Aug 9, 2022
So I absolutely love music, and I love metal most of all. I eventually want to make it big with a band, but not sure where to start, lol. So I was thinking, “What if I somehow got a job as a roadie for a band?” I think it would be a good way to get a little experience in the industry I want to be in, but at the same time, it kinda feels like a bit of a ridiculous idea.

Marco Jarmer

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
Hey,

The idea is not bad, but you can only get such jobs with vitamin D, as we say in Germany, i.e. through contacts.

I have not seen any job postings yet.

I, for example, have often worked as a stagehand and almost built the show for Slipknot once.

The chance to set up for Avenged Sevenfold, to help the roadies because that's the job of a stagehand, would be very likely.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Marco's right. Typically, one becomes a roadie or tech by doing so for a local band that's just expanding to the point of needing help, and being good at it. Of course, if the band goes nowhere or breaks up, you're kind of back at square one. You could also try getting a job at a local venue to see if that will put you in contact with enough artists to get the road gig.

A big band won't hire someone without road-tested experience and credentials.